Law enforcement report
- Lawrence police arrested Nancy Ann Farrell, 50, Merriam, on a charge of blackmail on Tuesday afternoon. Police said Farrell was arrested after allegedly attempting to blackmail a member of the local law enforcement community, but additional details were not immediately available Tuesday night. Farrell was booked into the Douglas County Jail at 2:37 p.m. and released at 3:06 p.m. after posting $2,500 bond. A court appearance was set for 3 p.m. May 13.
- A 47-year-old Lawrence woman told police someone damaged the driver's side of her 1990 white Honda Civic between 12:25 p.m. and 3 p.m. Monday in the 2700 block of Princeton. She estimated damage at $1,000.
- A 32-year-old Lawrence man reported possible child abuse to police Monday, saying he saw a child whipped with a belt about 9 p.m. Monday in the 1900 block of East 19th. Sgt. George Wheeler said officers are looking into the allegations.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- System malfunction, 9:38 p.m. Monday, 5121 Congressional.
- Good-intent call, 6:37 p.m. Monday, mile marker 11 on Kansas Highway 10, Eudora.
- Structure fire, 4:37 p.m. Monday, 2524 Winterbrook.
- System malfunction, 1:34 p.m. Monday, 2424 Melrose.
- Smoke scare, 1:02 p.m. Monday, 1600 block of Oxford.
- Good-intent call, 7:10 a.m. Monday, 1700 block of Massachusetts.
- Smoke scare, 7:04 a.m. Monday, 4911 W. Sixth.
- Medical emergency, 4:17 a.m. Tuesday, 500 block of East 1700 Road.
- Medical emergency, no transport, 2:46 a.m. Tuesday, 1300 block of Hoch Auditoria Drive.
- Medical emergency, no transport, 12:41 a.m. Tuesday, 900 block of East 1650 Road, Baldwin.
- Medical emergency, 11:31 p.m. Monday, 1200 block of Oread.
- Patient transfer, 8:08 p.m. Monday, 1400 block of Kasold.
- Medical emergency, no transport, 6:17 p.m. Monday, 1900 block of Heatherwood.
- Slip or fall, 5:22 p.m. Monday, 4700 block of Overland.
- Patient transfer, 1:29 p.m. Monday, 300 block of Maine.
- Medical emergency, 11:44 a.m. Monday, 600 block of Massachusetts.
- Work accident, 10:58 a.m. Monday, 800 block of New Hampshire.
- Patient transfer, 10:55 a.m. Monday, 1800 block of West 27th.
- Patient transfer, 10:37 a.m. Monday, 300 block of Maine.
Criminal charges filed
- Charges for a Kansas University student accused of running a false ID operation at a fraternity house were awaiting official filing Tuesday in Douglas County District Court. Lawrence police say they discovered the makeshift driver's license operation at the Alpha Tau Omega house, 1537 Tenn., in January while responding to a burglary call.