Archive for Sunday, September 20, 1998


September 20, 1998


There are plenty of errands to run once the moving truck is emptied.

Moving to Lawrence? While you're meeting the new neighbors, and deciding where the furniture will look best, keep in mind that there are other tasks at hand when settling in a new city.

Here's a handy guide for newcomers wondering where to go to for services:


Brochures listing gas, electrical, water, sewer and sanitation and cable service information are available from local Realtors and at apartment complexes.

Kansas Public Service provides Lawrence residents with natural gas, and service can be started by calling 1-800-

See A guide, page 13

Continued from page 9

303-0752 or visiting the local office at 110 E. Ninth, which is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. The toll-free number is a 24-hour line.

For electricity, KPL's office at 333 W. Ninth is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Service can be requested through KPL's customer service line, 1-800-794-4780.

The city of Lawrence handles trash, sanitation and water hook-ups on the second floor of city hall, Sixth and Massachusetts. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, and a $40 deposit is required for most residences. For more information, call 832-3256.

Sunflower Cablevision takes applications for service from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at 721 Wakarusa Dr., and from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturdays at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd. For information, call 841-2100.

Voter registration

There are a number of locations voters-to-be can register in Douglas County, including the courthouse at 11th and Massachusetts. County Clerk Patty Jaimes said residents can call 832-5267 and request a registration form. To participate in elections, a voter must be registered at least 14 days before Election Day.

``We need to remind people coming to town that anytime we move, the law requires us to re-register,'' she said. ``That includes moving from one apartment to another, even if it's at the same building.''

Hunting, fishing and boat licenses are also available at the county clerk's office.

Vehicle registration and taxes go through the county treasurer's office in the courthouse, or at at the treasurer's satellite office at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth.

Address change

Change-of-address cards are available at the main post office, 645 Vt., and Jayhawk Station, 1901 W. 31st. Post office boxes are also available; for more information, call 843-1681.

Driver's license

Kansas state law requires motorists to notify the Kansas Division of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of a move. For $2, you can get a new driver's license, or employees will issue a change-of-address form for free. The Lawrence office is in the National Guard Armory at Second Street and McDonald Drive.

If you haven't had a Kansas driver's license before, a written test and eye test are required for a new license. Out-of-state residents moving to Lawrence will be charged $17 for a new license. The office is closed Mondays, but is open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays. No tests are given after 5 p.m.

Lawrence Public Library

New residents can get a library card by showing proof of residency, such as a utility bill with a current address, student ID or driver's license. Library director Bruce Flanders said there is no charge for the card.

``There are possibilities for checking out lots of neat stuff,'' Flanders said.

-- Chris Koger's phone message number is 832-7126. His e-mail address is

Commenting has been disabled for this item.