Advertisement

Archive for Friday, September 18, 1998

SHORT IN TELEVISION DAMAGES LOCAL DUPLEX

September 18, 1998

Advertisement

An electrical short in a television put two people out of their homes Thursday night.

The short started a fire in the north half of a duplex at 515 Ind., damaging that apartment, Fire Battalion Chief Jerry Karr said.

A neighbor saw flames in the front room and called emergency personnel at 5:34 p.m. Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reached the duplex at 5:38, and had the fire under control by 5:45, Karr said.

``The cause was an electrical short in a television set,'' Karr said. The fire burned the television, television stand and carpet; heat and smoke damage to the apartment was estimated at $5,000.

No one was at home when the fire started; firefighters had to force the door open.

``The fire was right at the front of the house and right by the doors,'' Karr said, so it was quickly controlled.

There was no apparent structural damage, Karr said. Neither resident of the duplex was staying there Thursday night; the resident of the north apartment will be displaced, Karr said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.