The city of Lawrence has designated hours for trick-or-treating on Oct. 31, Halloween Beggars Night, to be 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Homeowners planning to hand out candy to costumed children are asked to turn on their porch lights during that time.
There are several Halloween and fall activities scheduled for children in the Lawrence area.
- Habitat for Humanity Haunted House, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. today, Friday and Oct. 31, river level of the Lawrence Riverfront Plaza Factory Outlets, Sixth and New Hampshire streets. Habitat for Humanity has put together a child-friendly haunted house for children 13 and under on the lower level of the mall. Donations only.
- KU After Dark, 7 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Thursday, Natural History Museum, Kansas University. Tickets ($2) are available at the museum and area Dillon stores.
- Alpha Chi Omega party for elementary students, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Alpha Chi Omega, 1500 Sigma Nu Place.
- Halloween Fun Night, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, United Way Center, 2518 Ridge Ct. Presented by youth United Way. There will be indoor trick-or-treating, games and prizes for children in kindergarten through second grade.
- Brandon Woods Halloween Party, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Oct. 31, Brandon Woods Retirement Community, 1501 Inverness Dr.
- Downtown Lawrence Inc. festivities on Oct. 31 include: Children's Costume Parade at 6 p.m. at the atrium on the river level of the Lawrence Riverfront Plaza Factory Outlets. Also, Dance City Production Company will perform at 5:45 p.m. as a prelude to the parade.
Trick-or-treating through downtown will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Downtown merchants will hand out treats to costumed children.
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Fall Carnival, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 31, Good Shepherd, 2211 Inverness. A pet costume contest will be at 3:30 p.m. and a children's costume contest will be at 4:30 p.m. There will be carnival activities, including basketball, frisbee bowling, golf, cake walk, fishing, face painting and more. Call 843-3014 for more information.
- Lawrence Heights Christian Church, 2321 Peterson Rd., is sponsoring an alternative to Halloween for all children in the community from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. There will be fun, food and fellowship in a safe carnival like environment. All ages are welcome. No scary or gruesome costumes, please.
- The Mustard Seed Christian Fellowship annual Harvest Party will be Oct. 31. It will start with a light supper and drink concessions at 5:30 p.m. Game booths will open at 6 p.m. There will also be a raffle with prizes; names will be drawn at 8 p.m. The Harvest Party is offered for families as an alternative to trick-or-treating. Wholesome costumes are encouraged. Admission is one bag of candy per child. For more information call 841-5685.