* Lawrence police are investigating an incident in which a counterfeit $20 bill was passed to a local business. The bill was passed between 9 p.m. Wednesday and 2 a.m. Thursday to an employee of Pizza Shuttle, 1601 W. 23rd. The police report did not indicate if the bill was given to a delivery driver in another part of town or passed at the business.
- A 48-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Thursday on a charge of sexual battery. The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail at 1:53 p.m. and was being held without bond. Details of the arrest weren't immediately available.
- James Dayshawn Hawkins, 19, Lawrence was arrested Thursday on charges of aggravated battery and failure to comply with court orders. He was booked into the Douglas County Jail at 2:16 p.m. and was being held without bond Thursday night. Details of the arrest weren't immediately available.
- Major Phillips, 50, Ozawkie, was taken to Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center in Topeka with minor cuts he suffered in a two-vehicle accident about 5:45 p.m. Thursday in Perry. Phillips was driving a 1993 Ford Ranger south on Ferguson Road when his vehicle was struck by a 1993 GMC truck being driven west on U.S. Highway 24 by Richard Williams, 54, Perry. Williams was not injured, Jefferson County authorities said.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Smoke scare, 11:49 p.m. Wednesday, 925 Miss.
- Refuse fire, 3:06 p.m. Wednesday, 700 Massachusetts.
- Alarm system malfunction, 2:54 p.m. Wednesday, 2330 Packer Road.
- Medical emergency, 5:24 a.m. Thursday, 1400 section of Kansas Highway 40.
- Patient transfer, 12:01 a.m. Thursday, 1800 block of West 27th.
- Medical emergency, 11:28 p.m. Wednesday, 1900 block of East 19th.
- Medical emergency, 8:56 p.m. Wednesday, 2100 block of Kentucky.
- Fall, 8:08 p.m. Wednesday, 3200 block of Peterson Road.
- Vehicle accident, 7:24 p.m. Wednesday, 4600 block of West Sixth.
- Medical emergency, 4:04 p.m. Wednesday, 900 block of North Eighth.
- Medical emergency, 3:27 p.m. Wednesday, 800 block of High, Baldwin.
- Vehicle accident, 1:41 p.m. Wednesday, 1800 block of West Sixth.
- Medical emergency, 1:35 p.m. Wednesday, first block of East Eighth.
- Non-emergency transfer, 12:56 p.m. Wednesday, from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Medical emergency, 12:26 p.m. Wednesday, 1100 block of West Sixth.
- Smoke inhalation, 9:13 a.m. Wednesday, 900 block of High, Baldwin.
Criminal case proceedings
- Raphael Presa, 21, Fort Riley, was charged with arson after being arrested in connection with an April 5 fire at the Mercantile Bank automatic teller machine, 900 Mass. Presa was arrested for allegedly starting a fire in a trash can at the machine, which is enclosed. No significant damage was reported, and Presa was released on his own recognizance Thursday. A preliminary hearing has been set for 1:45 p.m. Monday.
Marriage licenses issued
Robert John Cropper, 49, Lawrence, and Connie Sue O'Dell, 49, Lawrence.
John E. Riley, 79, Shawnee, and Edith I. Owens, 80, DeSoto.
Christian Alfred Rasmussen, 25, Lawrence, and Becky Jo Swedlund, 27, Lawrence.
Ryan E. Kroeker, 23, Lawrence, and Rosalie Smith, 23, Lawrence.
William A. Warnes, 22, Lawrence, and Emily D. Siebert, 22, Lawrence.
Brian F. McDonald, 24, Lawrence, and Kristin Kay Thompson, 23, Lawrence.
Steven Joel Branstrom, 24, Lawrence, and Christiane L. Watkins, 23, Lawrence.
Andrew G. Wallace, 23, Lawrence, and Stacey N. Hoover, 20, Lawrence.
Ellen M. Criqui, 40, Lawrence, and Roger D. Criqui, 43, Lawrence.
Carrie Jo Scheller, 25, Fort Worth, Tex., and David Matthew Barth, 27, Fort Worth, Tex.