It's May, and that means May flowers. But it also means it's graduation time in Lawrence and area communities.
During the next few weeks, thousands of high school and college students will graduate from schools in Lawrence and the Lawrence area.
Following is a list of graduation ceremonies:
- 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. -- Reception for graduating international students, Kansas Room, Kansas Union. Refreshments follow, Malott Room. Co-sponsors: International Programs, International Student Services, Phi Beta Delta.
- 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. -- Reception for Chancellor's student awards recipients, Kansas Room, Kansas Union.
- 9 a.m. -- School of Allied Health recognition, Memorial Hall, 600 N. Seventh, Kansas City, Kan.
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. -- College graduate division master's hooding, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall.
- 10 a.m. to noon. -- Graduating student athlete recognition brunch and awards, Adams Alumni Center.
- 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. -- Luncheon and open house for graduates of Allied Health, Medicine, Nursing, Medical Center graduate programs and families; Fountain courtyard, Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan.
- 11 a.m. -- School of Nursing student recognition, Memorial Hall, 600 N. Seventh, Kansas City, Kan.
- 11 a.m. to noon. -- Phi Beta Kappa initiation, Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union.
- Noon -- Phi Beta Kappa initiates reception, Big 12 Room, Kansas Union.
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. -- School of Education convocation, Lied Center.
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. -- Reception for graduating seniors who have completed the honors program and the University Scholars program and Summerfield and Watkins-Berger Scholars, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall.
- 4 p.m. -- Graduate School doctoral hooding, Lied Center.
- 5 p.m. Reception for graduating minority students and their parents, Malott Room, Kansas Union.
- 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. -- School of Pharmacy senior recognition and pharmacy hooding, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall. Reception follows, Murphy courtyard.
- 6 p.m. -- Minority graduation banquet, Kansas Union Ballroom.
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. -- Business School Graduate Business Council reception for graduating master's business students, location TBA.
- 7 p.m. -- School of Medicine hooding and awards, Lied Center.
- 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. -- Division of Biological Sciences graduate recognition, honors and awards reception; Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union. Reception follows, Big 12 Room.
- 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. -- School of Business recognition for bachelor's degree candidates and hooding for master's degree candidates, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall. Reception follows, Murphy Hall Courtyard.
- 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. -- Memorial Drive closed to traffic. Parking ban begins midnight Saturday.
- 8 a.m. -- School of Engineering recognition and awards, Lied Center.
- 9 a.m. -- School of Journalism hooding for master's degree candidates and recognition for bachelor's degree candidates, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall. Reception follows, Murphy Hall courtyard.
- 9:30 a.m. -- School of Business Beta Gamma Sigma honors reception and brunch, Lawrence Holidome, 200 McDonald Dr.
- 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. -- Speech-Language-Hearing graduate recognition, Room 110, Budig Hall. Reception follows, west atrium, Budig Hall.
- 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. -- School of Law hooding, Lied Center. Reception follows, Green Hall.
- 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. -- Department of music and dance student recognition, Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall.
- 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- Class of 1998 Commencement Lunch, Chancellor's residence, 1532 Lilac Lane. Program begins 11:30 a.m.
- 11 a.m. to noon -- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences recognition for students graduating with distinction and highest distinction, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall.
- 11:30 a.m. -- School of Architecture and Urban Design brunch, Ballroom, Kansas Union.
- Noon to 1:15 p.m. -- School of Social Welfare hooding for master's degree candidates and recognition of bachelor's degree candidates, Lied Center.
- 2 p.m. -- Commencement participants assemble on Memorial Drive.
- 2:30 p.m. -- Commencement procession begins, Memorial Stadium.
- 6 p.m. -- School of Business dinner for doctoral graduates, Adams Alumni Center.
- 10 a.m. -- ROTC joint service commissioning, Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union. Reception follows, Kansas Union Ballroom.
- 10 a.m. -- Baccalaureate Service at University Chapel.
- 2 p.m. -- 133rd Commencement at Ottawa University Chapel. Tickets are required and are allotted to graduates.
Degrees will be conferred for all university graduates. Bachelor's degrees will be conferred to candidates from the Ottawa campus and from centers in Kansas City, Phoenix, Milwaukee and Ottawa University International.
Master's degrees will be conferred to graduates from Kansas City and Phoenix.
A reception will be held on the University Mall following the ceremonies.
Haskell Indian Nations University
- 7:30 a.m. -- Alumni breakfast, Lawrence Holidome.
See Graduation, page 4
- 9 a.m. -- Softball tournament at Lyons Park.
- 10 a.m. -- Powwow Parade, downtown Lawrence.
- Noon -- Singles and doubles bowling tournament at Royal Crest Lanes.
- Noon -- Powwow Grand Entry at Haskell Stadium.
- 3 p.m. -- Singles and doubles bowling tournament at Royal Crest Lanes.
- 7 p.m. --Powwow Grand Entry at Haskell Stadium.
- 9 a.m.: Team bowling tournament at Royal Crest Lanes.
- 9 a.m.: Softball tournament at Lyons Park.
- Noon: Team bowling tournament.
- 1 p.m.: Powwow Grand Entry at the stadium.
- 3 p.m.: Team bowling tournament.
- 11 a.m. -- Karl Spear Golf Scramble at Falcon Ridge in Lenexa.
- Evening reunions for 13 classes will be held at various locations in Baldwin, Shawnee, Overland Park and Kansas City, Mo. For specific information about individual reunions call the Alumni Office at 785-594-8305.
- 7:30 p.m. -- Pinning ceremony for School of Nursing graduates, Grace Episcopal Cathedral, Topeka.
- 10 a.m. -- Alumni Citation, Family of the Year and honorary alumnus honorees, Collins House.
- 11:30 a.m. -- Alumni Day luncheon, Harter Union. Alumni Day awards ceremony will be held during the luncheon.
- 2 p.m. -- Memorial service and endowment fund dedication to honor alumni who have died in the past year, Osborne Chapel.
- 3 p.m. -- Annual Alpha Delta Sigma meeting, McKibben Recital Hall.
- 9:30 a.m. -- Baccalaureate service at First United Methodist Church.
- 1 p.m. -- College of Arts and Science commencement, Collins Sports and Convention Center.
- 4:30 p.m. -- School of Professional and Graduate Studies and School of Nursing commencement, Collins Center.
- After each ceremony has concluded, the university will conduction receptions for graduates and families at Collins House.
- Lawrence High -- 7 p.m., May 24 at Allen Fieldhouse.
- Free State High -- 4 p.m., May 24 at Allen Fieldhouse.
- Baldwin -- 4 p.m., May 16 at the Baldwin Junior High gymnasium.
- DeSoto -- 3:30 p.m., May 24 at the DeSoto High School gymnasium.
- Eudora -- 2:30 p.m., May 31 at Eudora High School gymnasium.
- Perry-Lecompton -- 2 p.m., May 23, at Perry-Lecompton High School gymnasium. Weather allowing, the ceremony might be outdoors at the high school football field.
- Basehor-Linwood -- 8 p.m., May 19 at the Kansas City, Kan., Community College fieldhouse.
- McLouth -- 2 p.m., May 17 at the McLouth High School girl's gymnasium.
- Oskaloosa -- 3 p.m., May 17 at Oskaloosa High School gymnasium.
- Ottawa -- 2 p.m., May 24 at the football stadium.
- Tonganoxie -- 7:30 p.m., May 26 at the football stadium.
- Wellsville -- 2 p.m., May 17 at the red gymnasium.