Burglaries and thefts reported
- Parts for a 1994 Mustang were reported stolen from Mid America Auto Parts, 2001 E. 19th, between 6 p.m. May 15 and 7:30 a.m. Monday. Loss was $900; a chain link fence was broken, causing $100 damage.
- A Macintosh laptop computer and Zip drive was reported stolen between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. May 14 from a residence in the 500 block of Louisiana. Loss was listed at $1,060.
- Police investigated a report of a rape against a four-year-old boy, but determined there was no crime because the ``suspect'' was also a four-year-old boy. The incident reportedly happened between 8 a.m. May 11 and 5 p.m. May 12 in the 2300 block of Crestline. Sgt. George Wheeler said a 4-year-old does not have the ability to form the intent to commit rape. The incident was reported by a family member of one of the boys.
- A 1985 Saab that had been reported stolen from Dallas Motor Cars in Gastonia, N.C., was recovered at 3:36 p.m. May 14 in the 800 block of Iowa. The car is valued at $4,000.
- Three 15-year-old female students reported they witnessed a man engaging in lewd and lascivious behavior at 4:15 p.m. Saturday. They were walking in the 300 block of East 19th when a white male in a red car pulled alongside them and began masturbating. The man did not say anything or get out of the car, according to police.
- Police are investigating an incident in which a 31-year-old Liberty, Mo., woman reported she was held against her will and battered by her husband between 11 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday in the 1400 block of East 15th. The incident, which police are investigating as domestic kidnapping and battery, was reported to police Monday.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Unintentional false alarm, 4:50 a.m. Wednesday, 1100 block of West 11th.
- Vehicle fire, 7:01 p.m. Tuesday, 2600 block of West 25th.
- Shorted electrical equipment, 4:23 p.m. Tuesday, 1700 block of Massachusetts.
- Non-emergency transfer, 9:58 p.m. Tuesday, from the 200 block of Mitchell Road.
- Vehicle accident, 6:59 p.m. Tuesday, 2000 block of Harvard Road; two patients were treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- False alarm, 5:16 p.m. Tuesday, 1300 block of Vermont, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 4:03 p.m. Tuesday, 3000 block of West Sixth.
- Medical emergency, 2:54 p.m. Tuesday, 500 block of California, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 2:17 p.m. Tuesday, 900 block of Jana Drive.
- Patient transfer, 12:57 p.m. Tuesday, from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Medical emergency, 12:09 p.m. Tuesday, 300 block of Maine.
- Work accident, noon Tuesday, 2100 block of Delaware.
- Medical emergency, 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, 2600 block of Haskell Avenue.
- Vehicle accident, 11:10 a.m. Tuesday, 1900 block of Barker, no transport.
- Non-emergency transfer, 10:08 a.m. Tuesday, from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Fall, 9:37 a.m. Tuesday, 2000 block of West 27th.
Criminal charges filed
- Billy Les Howerton, 34, Lawrence, was arrested for theft, driving with a suspended license, obstruction of the legal process, possession of drug paraphernalia and no proof of insurance. Howerton was stopped at 13th and Vermont streets Wednesday morning for a traffic violation, Sgt. George Wheeler said. He was arrested after a computer check revealed his license plate had been reported stolen. Howerton remained in the Douglas County Jail on $2,000 bond Wednesday night.
Criminal case proceedings
- Michael Allen Gibbs, 40, Lawrence, waived his preliminary hearing Wednesday afternoon for 21 different counts of breaking into seven Lawrence area homes. He will appear in court this morning, where he will be arraigned on seven counts each of burglary, theft and criminal damage to property. He was arrested April 23.