KSG Places Second: Kansas School of Gymnastics finished second in team competition at the Level 4 State meet in Wichita. KSG finished four points behind Lenexa Elite and two points ahead of Wamego Catts in the 18-team competition.
LTC Meeting Sunday: Lawrence Track Club will hold a parents meeting at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the Holcom Park recreation center. LTC is open to boys and girls ages eight to 18. For information, call Steve Lee at 843-8039.
- Men's Golf League: Orchards Senior Men's Golf league will have an organizational meeting at 8:30 a.m. on March 20 at Drury Place, 15th and Kasold. All men ages 60 and up are welcome. For information, call Dick Darnell at 842-6361.
- Lasers Win in Ottawa: Lawrence Lasers, a seventh- and eighth-grade girls basketball team, captured the Ottawa Recreation Commission's postseason tournament with a 3-0 record after finishing league play at 4-2. Team members are Hallie Fitzgerald, Stacie Garland, Rychel Johnson, Mallory Richardson, Sarah Rooney, Elizabeth Ross, Rachel Severance and Jenna Wilcox. Coaches are Brett Garland and John Ross.
- Macker 3-on-3 Tourney: Cottonwood Inc. will be the beneficiary of a Gus Macker 3-on-3 basketball tournament on April 18-19 in the parking lot of the Douglas County Courthouse. Entry deadline is April 3. For information, call Kesha Larson at 842-0550.
- City Youth Shine: Alec Lemmon of Lawrence was the leading scorer with 14 goals on the Olathe Alliance FC team that won the U-11 division of the North American Indoor soccer championships last weekend in Detroit.
- Hickey, McDaniel Place: Lawrence's Erin Hickey and Corrie McDaniel finished second and third respectively in the all-around at the March Madness gymnastics meet last weekend in Olathe. Hickey competed in Level 8 and McDaniel in Level 9. Lawrence's Kerry Gent was 10th in the all-around in the Level 6 competition.
- JO Gymnastics Coming: Approximately 450 participants are expected for the Kansas Junior Olympics gymnastics meet on March 27-29 at KU's Robinson Gym. The meet, for youths ages seven through 18, will be open to the public.
- U-13 Flames Take Title: Lawrence Flames won the under-13 championship of the Flames Roundball Classic last weekend at West Junior High and Sport2Sport. Team members are Lesley Belt, Jodie Cochrane, Audrey Corkill, Ashley Houk, Teal Meyer, Ashley Taul, Erica Thomas, Talisha Thomas, Katie Willoughby and Christina VanAuken. Coaches are Wint Winter and Marilyn Taul.
- Hoopsters Move On: Salvation Army Hoopsters fifth grade boys team has qualified for the Missouri Valley AAU regional this weekend in Fort Osage, Mo. Team members are Paul Johnson, Danny Pike, James Stewart, Joe Smysor, Michael Hrenchir, Ryan Rastok and Paul Kempf. Coaches are Tom Rastok and Aman Reaka.
- Kansas Ruggers Stung: Kansas Jayhawk Rugby Club lost to the Kansas City RC for the first time in eight years last weekend, bowing 22-10. Kansas won the B game, 27-22. In other games, Truman State pinned the KU men's team, 35-10, and the KU women's team spilled Nebraska, 28-5, in Lincoln.
- Rugger Brown Tapped: Derek Brown, a former Kansas University offensive tackle who now plays for the Kansas Jayhawk Rugby Club, has been selected to play for the U.S. National Rugby Team that will travel to Asia this summer.