A Lecompton Fire and Rescue emergency medical technician receives 1997 Douglas County First Responder of the Year Award.
Vince Hoffhines responded to 95 percent of all Lecompton Fire & Rescue calls in 1997, and for that -- and more -- Douglas County honored him Wednesday evening with the 1997 Douglas County First Responder of the Year Award.
Fellow first responders -- volunteers who respond to medical emergencies -- nominated Hoffhines for the award. They also named him Lecompton Fire & Rescue First Responder of the Year.
Hoffhines said his patients aren't the only ones who benefit from the program.
He does too, he said.
``It's very rewarding to be able to help someone,'' Hoffhines said.
Hoffhines, who lives in Lawrence, has been a volunteer firefighter for 20 years and received his certification for EMS work in 1993.
Tom Taul, chairman of the Douglas County Commission, presented the awards with the help of Ted McFarlane, deputy chief of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.
Other awardees were:
- William E. Vigneron, 1997 Eudora EMS First Responder of the Year. Vigneron is a certified EMT-I and serves Eudora as assistant director.
- Brett Howard, 1997 Baldwin EMS First Responder of the Year. Howard has been director of her squad since 1996.
- Daniel Waters, 1997 Osage County Fire District No. 4 First Responder of the Year. Waters has been a member of the Osage County Fire District No. 4 since 1993 and is an EMT and firefighter as well as minister for the United Methodist Church in Overbrook.
- Mary Tye, 1997 Clarion Springs EMS First Responder of the Year. Tye has served as a first responder volunteer for 20 years.
- Richard Zousel, 1997 Wakarusa Township Fire Department First Responder of the Year. Fellow volunteers nominated him for his contributions to monthly training sessions.
About 60 to 70 people volunteer as first responders, McFarlane said.
-- Deb Gruver's phone message number is 832-7165. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.