County agenda the issue
Douglas County Juvenile Detention Director Pam Weigand will ask county commissioners Monday to take advantage of a community initiatives grant program to create a day detention school program.
The program is designed to provide at-risk juvenile offenders with local intervention. The intent of the program is to increase the student's success rate in class and keep them out of future detention custody.
A $51,000 grant is available from the Juvenile Justice Authority. The total program cost is estimated at $84,500.
In 1997, a total of 141 juvenile offenders were supervised by Community Corrections, a county program that provides alternatives to jail time for adjudicated juvenile and adult offenders. Of the 1997 juvenile total, 30 offenders saw their probations revoked for violations of corrections assignments. School problems accounted for about 66 percent of those revocations.
Community Corrections' statistics show that as juveniles spent more time in detention they were less likely to be successful in school.
- Consider approval of Resolution No. 98-5 making certain findings with respect to the Eudora drainage project box bridge, to authorize improvements to the box bridge and to issue general obligation bonds to pay the county share -- $75,000 -- of the project.
- Consider approval of Resolution No. 98-6 making certain findings with respect to the Wakarusa River bridge, to authorize improvements to the bridge and to issue general obligation bonds to pay the county share -- $327,173 -- of the project.
- Consider authorization to execute a contract for electric distribution extension at the new county jail.
- Consider approval of a hazardous household waste disposal contractor.
- Consider approval of a supplemental agreement with the Kansas Department of Transportation for U.S. Highway 56 improvements in Baldwin.
- Adopt findings of fact to support the Jan. 21 denial of a zoning request to rezone 75 acres east of Vinland on North 700 Road from agricultural to suburban home residential use.
- Consider approval of a resolution relating to and amending a regulated planning and zoning classification within the unincorporated territory of Douglas County for Oak Ridge Estates.
- Consider approval to trade in and replace two John Deere 955 tractor mowers and purchase one new half-ton pickup truck for Buildings and Grounds.
- Consider a request to reverse a minimum maintenance road designation on North 600 Road from East 2300 to East 2400.
- Consider and take action on a request from the court administrator to execute a contract for architectural services for the remodeling of Division II and V court offices.
- Consider alternatives for the meat contract for the jail kitchen.
- Consider approval of recommendations for personal computers and server systems.
- Hold a work session to discuss planning issues.