The all-male ensemble will kick off its performance schedule Sunday at a concert with other Kansas University singing groups.
The Men's Glee Club at Kansas University is once again warming up its vocal cords.
After a five-semester absence, the ensemble is reforming and will be performing at ``Four Choirs Concert -- For Valentines'' at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at the First United Methodist Church, 10th and Vermont.
``Forty years ago, (the Men's Glee Club) was all the rage. It was a big deal on campus,'' Jeff Carter, a graduate teaching assistant who is directing the glee club, said.
The ensemble was disbanded in the fall of 1995, when Simon Carrington came aboard as KU's director of choral activities because there were only about a dozen singers in the group.
The idea to re-establish the glee club came up last fall and it seemed to catch on. The ensemble now has about 30 members.
``It's a wonderful size for a beginning ensemble,'' Carter said.
At Sunday's concert, the singers will be performing ``the classics of men's glee club literature'' as well as an arrangement of ``Down in the Valley,'' he said. Throughout the semester, the ensemble will be developing a repertoire that will include folk songs, spirituals and the school fight song.
Other performers at Sunday's concert include the Concert Choir, University Singers and Women's Chorale.
The KU choirs have scheduled a number of concerts in Lawrence during the spring semester. They include:
- March 10: KU Madrigal Day, a workshop for choral ensembles from area schools, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall. Collegium Musicum will perform a recital at 12:30 p.m.
- March 15: ``Joy of Singing,'' 7:30 p.m., Lied Center. The concert will feature Classic Edition, the 1998 Sweet Adelines international champion quartet; KU Oread Consort; KU Chamber Choir; Derby High School Madrigals; Bardic Aire; Ankeny High Concert Choir of Des Moines, Iowa; Lawrence Civic Choir; and the combined women's choir of the Lawrence high schools.
- March 18: Spring recital, featuring the Concert Choir, Men's Glee Club, University Singers and Women's Chorale, 7:30 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 10th and Vermont.
- April 7: Chamber Choir spring recital of English choral music of the 20th century, 8 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 2415 Clinton Pkwy. The program includes ``Choral dances from Gloriana,'' by Britten; ``Requiem'' and ``Collegium Regale'' Canticles, by Howells; and ``Vox dicentis,'' by E.W. Naylor.
- April 19: English Renaissance Music of the Golden Age,'' featuring Collegium Musicum and the University Dance Company, 2:30 p.m., Bales Recital Hall.
- April 28: ``William Byrd: The Great Service and Keyboard Dances,'' featuring Oread Consort and organist Ryan Hebert, 7:30 p.m., St. Lawrence Catholic Center, 1631 Crescent Rd.