Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A laptop computer valued at $5,000 was reported stolen on Dec. 4, 1997, from a house in the 2800 block of West Sixth, according to police reports on Tuesday.
- A 23-year-old employee at the West Coast Saloon, 2222 Iowa, reported he was cut during an altercation at the bar at 10:45 p.m. Sunday. A fight began between two patrons, who were asked to leave. Before they left, the couple began arguing again, and one of the men reportedly pulled out a knife and threatened to kill the other man. The bar employee stepped between the two men and was cut on the nose and hand. He did not require medical treatment, according to police reports.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- False alarm, 2:04 a.m. Monday, 100 block of Indian Avenue.
- System malfunction, 9:36 p.m. Monday, 1500 block of Inverness.
- Unintentional false alarm, 6:50 p.m. Monday, 700 block of Wakarusa.
- System malfunction, 6:12 p.m. Monday, 2000 block of East 19th.
- Trash fire, 5:38 p.m. Tuesday, 1300 block of Westbrooke.
- Medical emergency, 4:36 a.m. Tuesday, 1500 block of Inverness.
- Medical emergency, 1:48 a.m. Tuesday, first block of Colonial Court, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 1:19 a.m. Tuesday, 2000 block of West Sixth, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 1:04 a.m. Tuesday, 1400 block of Westbrooke.
- Work accident, 8:25 p.m. Monday, 2000 block of West 23rd.
- Vehicle accident, 7:14 p.m. Monday, 700 block of Tennessee.
- Medical emergency, 7:07 p.m. Monday, 400 block of Country Club Drive.
- Vehicle accident, 4:39 p.m. Monday, 100 section of U.S. Highway 59.
- Medical emergency, 1:10 p.m. Monday, Lecompton.
- Medical emergency, 11:36 a.m. Monday, 1000 block of Randall.
- Home accident, 10:49 a.m. Monday, 1700 block of Massachusetts.
- Medical emergency, 12:12 a.m. Monday, 1100 block of West Sixth.
Criminal charges filed
Criminal case proceedings
- David E. Griffin, 41, Lawrence, pleaded guilty to attempted robbery and felony theft for his involvement in a Sept. 4, 1997, robbery of the E-Z Shop, 1414 W. Sixth. Griffin stole a construction company's pickup truck at Highpointe apartments, at Sixth and Iowa, and drove it to the convenience store, where he stole about $120. The truck, containing Griffin and four other people, was stopped west of Lawrence after a chase.
- David Davis, 37, Lawrence, pleaded no contest to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child. Davis, who was originally charged with five counts of rape, will be sentenced on March 6.
- Travis W. Stiffler, 21, Eudora, pleaded no contest to aggravated battery. Stiffler was arrested Sept. 9, 1997, on a charge of discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling. The shooting in the 1000 block of West 20th Street caused no injuries. The shooting occurred minutes after the vehicle Stiffler was in was sprayed with bullets. He will be sentenced March 13.
- Rodney J. Atwell, 19, Lawrence, was sentenced to two years probation for burglary and felony theft. A 33-month prison sentence was suspended for the probation. Atwell was arrested in connection with a Nov. 21, 1997, residential burglary in rural Douglas County, where guns, jewelry and a vehicle were stolen.
- Johnathan Joseph Browning, 22, Lawrence, pleaded no contest to one count of auto burglary. He will be sentenced on March 13.
- A jury found James Pellis, 33, Lawrence, guilty of possession of marijuana.