On Feb. 7, 1898, the Lawrence Journal stated: "The proposition to build a walk to the cemetery will probably come before the city council tonight. It is a worthy plan, and the councilmen should each and every one do all in his power to aid the endeavor. The necessity is apparent; the city is united in a desire to have the walk. The cost is comparatively small. The walk should be constructed before the wet days of spring or the dusty days of summer come." Oak Hill Cemetery was located east of what was then the city limits.