Kansas University baseball coach Bobby Randall announced the signing of eight players to letters of intent on Friday.
"(Assistant coach) Mike Bard, who coordinated all of the recruiting, really worked his tail off," Randall said. "We signed a group of good athletes, good students -- just a group of good men. This is a great foundation for years to come.
"We think the student-athletes coming in will be able to contribute right away. How good of a class this really is, though, only time will tell. But we are really pleased."
The eight are:
- Jay Brooks, 6-5, 220, first baseman, Baldwin High. Brooks, who played summer ball with the Lawrence Raiders, was an all-league pick in football and basketball as a sophomore.
- Jeff Davis, 6-3, 170, pitcher, Lawrence High. Davis was a second-team All-Sunflower League pick as a junior, when he was 7-0 with a 1.43 earned run average.
- Corey Harrington, 6-1, 170, pitcher-short stop, Lincoln (Neb.) Pius X. Harrington was an honorable mention all-stater in baseball, basketball and football as a junior, when he hit .342 with 30 stolen bases.
- Lukas McKnight, 6-0, 195, catcher, Libertyville (Ill.) High. McKnight was an all-stater as a junior and played in the prestigious Area Code Games in San Diego last summer. He set school records with a .495 batting average and seven home runs as a junior.
- Dan Olson, 6-2, 190, pitcher-outfielder, Loveland (Colo.) High. Olson was a two-time letter-winner in baseball and basketball.
- Ryan Schmidt, 6-2, 215, pitcher, Barton County CC. Schmidt was a Jayhawk Conference all-star last year, and was a three-time letter-winner at Valley Center High.
- Matt Van Alsburg, 6-4, 190, outfielder, Fort Collins (Colo.) High. Van Alsburg was an all-stater as a junior, when he hit .482 with eight homers and 30 RBIs with 15 stolen bases.
- Matt Webb, 5-10, 185, outfielder, Beford (Texas) Euless Trinity High. Webb played in the Area Code Games last summer and was an all-stater as a junior, when he was the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's player of the year. Webb hit .453 with 29 RBIs and 20 stolen bases as a junior.