Lawrence students are named semifinalists in a national award program.
Ten Lawrence High School seniors are among the estimated 15,000 students nationwide who are semifinalists in the 42nd annual National Merit Scholarship Program.
The students have an opportunity to continue in the competition for about 7,000 Merit Scholarship awards, worth about $27 million, to be offered next spring.
Semifinalists were chosen from more than 1.1 million students in about 2,000 U.S. high schools who entered the program by taking the 1995 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. The highest scorers in each state were designated as semifinalists.
Before they can be considered for Merit Scholarship awards, semifinalists must advance to the finalist level of competition by fulfilling additional requirements that include having an outstanding academic record throughout high school and being endorsed and recommended by the high school principal.
An estimated 14,000 finalists will be chosen, and from that group 7,000 Merit Scholarship winners will be culled.
No students from any Lawrence area schools were named semifinalists this year.
The semifinalists from Lawrence High School are:
- Karrigan Bork, son of John Bork and Jean Shepherd, Lawrence. Karrigan's activities, honors and awards: Scholastic Achievement Letter, varsity wrestling, varsity football, Olin Award (football), Duver Award (athletics), member of Scholars Bowl, Spanish Club, Kansas Regents Honors Academy, earned 5s on Advanced Placement exams in English literature and biology. He is undecided about what college he'll attend, but he plans to complete a pre-veterinary medicine program and earn a degree in economics and Spanish.
- Seth L. Gabbert, son of Jama Kolosick, Lawrence, and Larry Gabbert, Lawrence. Seth's activities, honors and awards: theater productions, Knowledge Master team, varsity track, vocal music, staff member of The Budget student newspaper, awards in disk golf competitions, volunteers at the Kansas University Natural History Museum and as a math tutor at LHS. His college plans are undecided, but he hopes to major in engineering or computers.
- Matthew Gaus, son of Philip and Gail Gaus, Lawrence. Matt's activities, honors and awards: Knowledge Master, Scholars Bowl, debate, forensics, Teens HOPE AIDS Education, thespians, A Capella Choir, Mammoth Club, Science Olympiad, National Council of English Teachers Writing Award nominee, National Honor Society, Eagle Scout. Matthew plans to attend Carleton College, Whitman College or Kansas University.
- Joel Karpowitz, son of Dennis and Diane Karpowitz, Lawrence. His activities, honors and awards: theater productions, International Thespian Society, Scholars Bowl, National Honor Society, A Capella Choir, Concert Master, orchestra, Dartmouth Book Award, Parks and Recreation Community Service Award, as well as leadership positions in his church youth group. His college plans are undecided.
- Jonathan Lane, son of Steve Lane, Lawrence, and Chris Hubert, Lawrence. Jonathan's activities, honors and awards: marching band, concert band and pep band. He is undecided about which college he'll attend, but plans to major in communications or music education.
- Avery Lominska, son of Joy and Bob Lominska, Lawrence. Avery's activities, honors and awards: Youth in Local Government, Mammoth Club, Biology Club, Alliance for Social Awareness, marching band, symphonic band, pep band, honor roll. Avery plans to attend Kansas University.
- Lilly Mason, daughter of Charlotte and Harry Knoche, Lawrence, and Steve Mason and Gayle Sigurdson, Lawrence. Lilly's activities, honors and awards: orchestra, choir, art, President's Academic Fitness Award, honor roll, Marie Walsh Sharpe Scholar (art), National Honor Society, Girl Scout Leadership Award, member of Girl Scout Troop 660, performs with Rhubarb Pie folk band, plays violin, guitar and bass. She also sings and does Appalachian style clog dancing. She's undecided about her college plans, but wants to attend medical school and become an obstetrician/gynecologist.
- Timothy Stephens, son of Noel and Gillian Stephens, Lawrence. Timothy's activities, honors and awards: International Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Biology Club, French Club, Key Club, orchestra, track, basketball, Spanish Club, honor roll, perfect attendance, Who's Who Among American High School Students, National Honor Society, active in church youth group, bell choir and chancel choir. He's undecided about his college choice, but wants to major in French and biochemistry.
- Michael Turvey, son of Ginny and Bob Turvey, Lawrence. Michael's activities, honors and awards: gym aid, Youth in Local Government, Spanish Club, Mammoth Club, Computer Club, Kansas Boys State, Presidential Scholar, Kansas State University Engineering Camp. He's undecided about which college he'll attend, but plans to major in computer engineering.
- Justin Wood, son of Barbara and Keith Wood, Lawrence. Justin's activities, honors and awards: Theatre Club, Knowledge Masters, Quiz Bowl, mime troupe, German Club, Mammoth Club, Scholars Bowl, debate, forensics, yearbook photographer, Science Olympiad, Academic Achievement Award, National Honor Society, Boy Scouts of America. Justin plans to attend Stanford University, where he wants to major in aeronautical engineering.