What does the city manager do?
Here's City Manager Mike Wildgen's job description, as outlined in the 1997 city budget:
"The city manager is the city's chief administrative officer and is responsible for providing efficient, adequate and timely municipal services to the citizens of Lawrence.
"The city manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the city commission. The commission is responsible for establishing city policies, while the city manager is charged with implementing those policies."
To do so, Wildgen:
- Appoints all department heads and subordinate employees of the city;
- Ensures that laws and ordinances are enforced;
- Advises the commission on issues and policies as requested;
- Recommends measures and ordinances deemed necessary;
- Prepares and submits an annual city budget, and advises the commission about the city's financial condition;
- Performs other duties prescribed by state or local laws.
Wildgen also must work with other governmental agencies to handle grants, plus cooperate with Douglas County, townships, special districts and other boards and commissions to ensure "efficient operation of the city."