Lawrence school board members on Monday night will review two proposed policies.
One of the policy proposals, which the board will consider on second and final reading, pertains to students' participation in interscholastic activities.
The other policy proposal, which the board will consider on first reading, centers on employee substance abuse.
Preceding the regular meeting, at 5:30 p.m., the board will conduct a study session on the district's special education program. Both the study session and the regular meeting are open to the public.
The interscholastic participation policy proposal essentially says that student activities are important. It also says that it's important for coaches and sponsors to give their full attention to maintaining and improving the academic success of students and that it's important for students to strike a balance between classwork and activities.
The employee substance abuse policy proposal says that school district employees may not use or distribute tobacco, tobacco products, illegal drugs or alcohol on school premises or as part of any school activity. It also says employees cannot be under the influence of illegal drugs, alcohol, tobacco or tobacco products on district property or at any school activity.
"On school property where students do not attend, smoking will be permitted in designated areas only," the proposed policy says.
- Recognize Deb McVey, who was named Kansas School Psychologist of the Year; Pat Nemchock, who was named Outstanding Kansas High School Art Educator of the Year; and Elizabeth Hatchett, who was named Outstanding Kansas Elementary Art Educator of the year.
- Hear a presentation on inclusion of hearing-impaired students at Sunflower School.
- Consider approval of the consent agenda, including minutes of the Oct. 14 regular meeting, minutes of the Oct. 21 study session on demographics, the treasurer's report, monthly vouchers, financial reports and personnel recommendations.
- Hear public comment.
- Accept audit reports for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1996.
- Consider on second reading a policy on interscholastic participation.
- Consider on first reading a policy on employee substance abuse.
- Select a delegate for the Kansas Association of School Board's annual convention Dec. 6-8.
- Hear a report on the early childhood education program in the district.
- Hear Supt. Al Azinger's regular report.
- Meet in executive session to discuss property.