Archive for Saturday, October 12, 1996

HOT OVEN, CRUMBS IGNITE FIRE

October 12, 1996

Advertisement

Bagel crumbs in the bottom of an heated oven are suspected as the cause of a Friday night fire at a downtown eatery.

Firefighters fresponded at 9:35 p.m. Friday to a one-alarm fire at Uptown Bagels, 818 Mass.

"They left their oven on and there were crumbs in the bottom of the oven that caught on fire," said Lawrence Fire Capt. Lexie Engleman. "When we got there, it (the oven) was up to 800 degrees."

Engleman said the fire was contained to the oven, sparing damage to the restaurant.

Engleman said "six or eight" people were evacuated from two apartment units above the restaurant. Firefighters put out the fire with a hand-held, dry chemical extinguisher, she said.

"It was smoky on the first floor," Engleman said. "We had to ventilate the downstairs business and the two upstairs apartments."

Engelman said there was no damage done to the oven or the restaurant.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.