Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 1991 Chrysler, valued on a police report at $17,000, was stolen about 8:20 p.m. Jan. 23 from the 1700 block of Massachusetts. The report indicates that the suspect is a 25-year-old Lawrence man who is known to the victim.
- A 1992 Hyundai was stolen between 10:30 p.m. Sunday and 6:16 a.m. Monday from the 1500 block of Wedgewood, police said Monday. The report indicates that the car, which was valued on a report at $4,500, was unlocked and the keys were in the ashtray.
- Police are investigating the reported theft of a 1986 Ford pickup about 11:50 p.m. Saturday from the 600 block of New Hampshire. The victim told police he had left the truck unlocked and running while he went inside a business. When he came out, the truck was gone. Police said Monday that the truck, valued at $4,500, was recovered Sunday in the 500 block of Walnut in North Lawrence. Details of its recovery were unavailable.
- Police are investigating a reported aggravated burglary of an occupied residence in the 2100 block of West 26th. The police report indicates that the suspect entered the residence between 4:30 a.m. and 4:40 a.m. Saturday through an unlocked door. One victim was asleep in a bedroom and the other was asleep on a living room couch. The police report indicates that two guitars, a leather coat, a camera and tennis shoes, valued together at $1,634, were stolen.
- A 1990 Nissan, valued on a police report at $8,000, was stolen between 2:30 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. Sunday from the 1600 block of Kentucky. The police report indicates that the vehicle was locked.
- Super Target, 3201 S. Iowa, reported that nearly $4,000 in cash was stolen from the business between Oct. 1 and Saturday. The police report indicates that store security began an internal investigation when shortages were discovered in a register in the restaurant area of the store. Store security later identified a 17-year-old female employee as a possible suspect and contacted police. The report indicates that $765 of the missing cash was recovered and that the woman allegedly purchased a $100 gold necklace with some of the money.
- An 8-year-old Lawrence girl reported to police that she was shot in the leg with a BB pistol about 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of Kansas. A police report indicates that the shot was fired by a 16-year-old Lawrence boy. The girl suffered a minor injury to her leg, police said.
- A 40-year-old Lawrence man, who was arrested by police Saturday in connection with the battery of a 20-year-old woman and the aggravated assault of a 26-year-old Lawrence man, was charged Monday in Douglas County District Court. Henry V. Morrison Jr., 1233 N.J., was charged with aggravated assault and battery. His preliminary hearing is set for Feb. 8. A police report indicates that the incident happened between 2:20 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday in the 400 block of East 12th. The report indicates the suspect struck the woman in the face with his fist and threatened the man with a knife.
- A 31-year-old Lawrence man told police that he suffered cuts to his abdomen and face about 1:30 a.m. Sunday during an altercation in the 700 block of Connecticut. The victim told police that the suspect, a 39-year-old man, had been staying at the residence. The argument broke out after the victim reportedly refused to give the suspect a cigarette and let him borrow his car. The Douglas County Ambulance Service was called to the scene, but the victim was not transported to the hospital.
- Loren Brouhard, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition Monday at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. Brouhard was injured Wednesday in a three-vehicle accident in the 1700 block of Massachusetts.
- Were called at 9:32 p.m. Sunday to investigate a reported natural gas leak at a residence at 2735 Rawhide. Firefighters checked the residence with monitors, but failed to get any readings for either natural gas or carbon monoxide. The occupant of the resident was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released.
- Were called at 12:19 a.m. Monday to investigate a report of smoke on the ninth floor of Ellsworth Hall, 1734 Engel Rd. When firefighters arrived, a fire alarm was sounding and the smell of incense was present. No source for the smell was found.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service reported the following responses:
- Home accident, 9:33 p.m. Sunday, 2700 block of Rawhide.