Organizers of the Ninth Annual Lawrence St. Patrick's Day Parade are seeking volunteers, float entries and participation in fund-raising events.
This year's parade will begin at 1:30 p.m. March 17. The parade will start at South Park, travel north on Massachusetts Street and across the Kansas River Bridge and east on Locust Street, ending at the Flamingo Club, 901 N. Ninth.
Cash awards will be given for the best parade entries and the best-decorated homes and businesses along the parade route.
This year's fund-raising events are:
- Celebrity and sports auction, 3 p.m. Feb. 17, The Granada, 1020 Mass.
- Comedy night, 8 p.m. Feb. 24, The Backroom, 925 Iowa.
- Dart tournament, 1 p.m. March 2, The Red Lyon Tavern, 944 Mass.
- Concert, 9 p.m. March 5, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H.
- St. Patrick's Day Parade Queen Coronation/Banquet, March 10, The Flamingo Club, 501 N. Ninth. Social hour will be held at 6 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m., and the coronation at 8 p.m.
- Shamrock shuffle 5 kilometer run, 8 a.m. March 16, behind Johnny's Tavern, 401 N. Second.
Proceeds from the parade and related events go to the 1996 benefactor, the "Wee Folks Scholarship Fund," established by the city's parks and recreation department for Lawrence children.
The deadline for float entries is March 5.
Women 18 years of age and older who want to preside over the St. Patrick's Day parade have until Feb. 1 to declare their candidacy for Parade Queen.
Candidates will be judged for their participation in the planning of St. Patrick's Day-related events and should plan to attend a series of weekly meetings with the parade committee.
Candidates will be introduced to the parade committee during the group's meeting at 7 p.m. Feb. 6 at Johnny's, 401 N. Second. Thereafter, the weekly meeting, at 7 p.m. every Tuesday, will alternate between Kaspar's, 3115 W. Sixth, and Johnny's.
More information is available by calling Barbara Herbel at 832-2214.
For more information about the parade and other events, call the St. Patrick's Parade Committee, 749-6677. Or write to P.O. Box 1702, Lawrence 66044.