The Lawrence Chamber of Commerce has a new slate of board members.
The Lawrence Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors has elected nine members to serve three-year terms, beginning in April 1997. The new members were nominated by the Directors Nominating Committee. Pete Wiklund is chairman of the committee.
New members are:
- Ron Durflinger, president, Durflinger Homes, Inc.
Durflinger was president of the Lawrence Home Builders Assn. in 1993-94 and is currently on the City of Lawrence Building Code Board of Appeals.
- Ann Gardner, editorial page editor, Lawrence Journal-World
Gardner is president of the Lawrence branch of the American Association of University Women and a member of the Visiting Nurses Assn. board of directors.
- Karmen Huyser, Lawrence production center manager, Hallmark Cards
Huyser is vice president of the Lawrence Arts Center board of directors and has served on the Business/Education Partnership board of directors.
- Cal Karlin, member, Barber, Emerson, Springer, Zinn & Murray, L.C.
Karlin has served on boards of directors for United Way of Douglas County, Leadership Lawrence, Douglas County Visiting Nurses Assn. and Lawrence Public Library.
- Carl Locke, dean, Kansas University School of Engineering
Locke is a member of the Chamber's KU/Business Partnerships Task Force and Kansas Innovation Corporation board of directors.
- Jim Long, director, Kansas and Burge unions, Kansas University.
Long serves on the Lawrence Foundation board of directors, United Way Space Task Force and the KU Memorial Corp. board of directors.
- David Longhurst, general manager, Lawrence Riverfront Plaza.
Longhurst served as a city commissioner and was mayor of Lawrence in 1983-84. He currently serves as president of Downtown Lawrence Inc., and is on the advisory boards of Seem-To-Be Players, Salvation Army and Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Jerry Samp, president, Commerce Bank.
Samp is a member of the Lawrence Rotary Club, Douglas County Development Inc. and the chamber's Governmental Affairs Task Force. He is treasurer for Friends of the Lied Center and serves on the board of directors for the Lawrence Arts Center.
- Mike Scott, external affairs manager, Southwestern Bell Telephone.
Scott serves on the boards of directors for the Overland Park Chamber of Commerce, Association for K-10 Corridor Development, Douglas County Development Inc. and Junior Achievement. He is also a trustee for First Presbyterian Church in Lawrence.