A troop of Civil War re-enactors will pitch camp later this week at Burcham Park in Lawrence in connection with Civil War Days, a weeklong series of events sponsored by The Eldridge Hotel, 701 Mass. For more information, call 749-5011. Here's a schedule of some of the week's events:
- Ice cream social, 1 p.m.- 5 p.m., Eldridge Hotel. Fee.
- Stage coach re-enactment, leaves hotel at 2:30 p.m., arrives in Lecompton 5:30 p.m. Fee. Others scheduled throughout the week at Burcham Park.
- Retracing Quantrill's raid through Lawrence, 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Meet at the Union Pacific Depot, 402 N. Second. Fee.
- Lecture, "Civil War in Bleeding Kansas: From John Brown to William C. Quantrill," 6:30 p.m., Eldridge Hotel. Cost includes dinner.
- Lecture: "William Clarke Quantrill: the man," 6:30 p.m., Eldridge Hotel. Cost includes dinner.
- Lawrence Out of the Ashes horse-drawn tour, departures at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., hosted by the Lawrence Preservation Alliance.
- Slide talk, "Widows, orphans and other survivors," noon, Eldridge Hotel. Cost includes lunch.
- Dramatization of pioneer abolitionist Julia Lovejoy's experiences in early Lawrence, noon, Eldridge Hotel. Cost includes lunch.
- Civil war re-enactors start setting up camp in Burcham Park, Indiana and Second.
- Civil War living history encampment open 8:30 a.m. to dusk, Burcham Park, Indiana and Second. Events scheduled throughout the day.
- Civil War living history encampment open 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Burcham Park, Indiana and Second.