Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 34-year-old Overland Park man reported that between 5:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. Sept. 12 someone stole a Rolex watch and $30 cash from a locker at the Alvamar Country Club, 1809 Crossgate Dr. The loss was estimated on a police report at $4,530. There are no suspects.
- A 24-year-old Lawrence woman told police that a man pointed a handgun at her about 2:15 p.m. Saturday as she was driving north across the Kansas River Bridge. The police report indicates that the woman first encountered the suspect when she was stopped in the right turn lane at Sixth and Massachusetts waiting for traffic to clear. The man, who was driving a car that was stopped behind her, honked his horn at her while she was stopped. The woman said that after she made her turn, the man drove beside her and pointed the gun at her. Police later located the suspect's car and talked to two of the three people who were in the car. They also confiscated a .45-caliber handgun, some ammunition and a car stereo. They have not yet contacted the driver. The investigation is continuing.
- Police are investigating a report that a 14-year-old girl was physically abused by her mother between 3:50 p.m. and 4:05 p.m. Monday at Southwest Junior High School, 2511 Inverness Dr. The police report indicates the mother had been called to the school for a conference about her daughter's attendance and that during the conference she yelled at the girl, pulled her hair and slapped her.
- Linden W. Keith, 49, Ottawa, was listed in fair condition Tuesday at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. She was injured Aug. 30 in a one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence.
- Warren Oshel, 47, Lawrence, remained in critical condition Tuesday in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Sept. 3 in a motorcycle accident about two miles north of Midland Junction in Jefferson County.
- Russell Walters, Lawrence, was listed in good condition Tuesday in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Saturday night in a car-motorcycle accident at 18th and Tennessee.
- Brent Latessa, Lawrence, was discharged Monday from St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where he had been undergoing treatment for injuries he suffered Sept. 12 in a forklift accident near Seventh and Oak in Eudora.
- Nathan Tresser, 15 months, Leavenworth, was listed in fair condition Tuesday at Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Mo., with injuries he suffered Sept. 14 in a one-vehicle accident on a county road about six miles north of Tonganoxie.
- Conrad Cole, St. Louis, was listed in fair condition Tuesday at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., with injuries he suffered in a tractor accident Saturday night at a hot-rod tractor pull in McLouth. A sheriff's department spokeswoman said Cole was thrown from his tractor during the competition.
Criminal charges filed
- A 48-year-old Lawrence man has been charged in Douglas County District Court with one count of incest. The charge alleges that between May 14 and 15 the man had sexual relations with an adult female who was a member of his family. Douglas County Jail records indicate the man was arrested Monday on the criminal warrant and released on $3,000 bond pending his first court appearance on Sept. 27.
Law enforcement report
- A 22-year-old transient was arrested Tuesday in connection with possession of cocaine with intent to sell. The man was booked into the Douglas County jail at 4:05 p.m. He was being held without bond Tuesday night.
- Investigated a false alarm at 1:41 p.m. Tuesday at Babcock Place Apartments, 1700 Mass.
- Investigated carbon dioxide levels at 4:25 p.m. at a home at 2900 W. 23rd Ter.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service made the following responses:
- Automobile accident, 8:02 a.m. Tuesday, 1200 block of Tennessee. Patient was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Automobile accident, 9:03 a.m. Tuesday, Sixth and Lawrence Avenue. Patient was taken to LMH and then to the Veteran's Administration hospital in Leavenworth. The VA hospital had no record of treatment.
- Automobile accident, 11:07 a.m. Tuesday, 500 block of Mississippi. Patient was treated and released from LMH.
- Medical emergency, 11:44 a.m. Tuesday, Sixth and Massachusetts.
- Automobile accident, 12:10 p.m. Tuesday, 2200 block of Louisiana, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 4:43 p.m. Tuesday, 1500 Inverness.
- Automobile accident, 5:33 p.m. Tuesday, 15th and Iowa. Patient was treated and released at LMH.
- Medical emergency, 5:49 p.m. Tuesday, Lewis Hall at Kansas University.