Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 41-year-old Lawrence man was arrested by police early Wednesday for allegedly breaking into a car that was parked in the 1400 block of Tennessee. A police report indicates officers were called to the area about 1 a.m. after someone noticed the man getting into a car. When officers arrived and spotted the suspect, he fled on foot. He was later apprehended near the Museum of Anthropology on the Kansas University campus. Stanley L. Shepard Jr., 1225 Pa., was charged Wednesday in district court with felony charges of auto burglary and obstruction of the legal process and misdemeanor theft. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 27.
- Linden W. Keith, 49, Ottawa, remained in critical condition Wedesday in the intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. She was injured Aug. 30 in a one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence.
- Warren Oshel, 47, Lawrence, was listed in critical condition Wednesday in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Sept. 3 in a motorcycle accident about two miles north of Midland Junction in Jefferson County.
- Kalabe Wilson, Eudora, was listed in fair condition Wednesday at KUMC with injuries he suffered Tuesday in a bicycle accident near Ninth and Oak in Eudora.
- Brent Latessa, Lawrence, was listed in good condition Wednesday at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., with injuries he suffered Tuesday in a forklift accident near Seventh and Oak in Eudora.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service reported the following responses:
- Home accident, 9:58 p.m. Tuesday, 1400 block of Kasold.
- Medical emergency, 11:09 p.m. Tuesday, 1000 block of Cherry, Eudora.
- Home accident, 4:04 a.m. Wednesday, 1500 block of Inverness.
Criminal case proceedings
- A Douglas County jury on Tuesday convicted Brian K. Hester, 30, 3323 Iowa, on two counts of sale of cocaine, violation of the Kansas Drug Tax Stamp Act and use of a telephone to help a drug sale. The charges were filed in March after a three-month investigation by the Tri-County Drug Enforcement Unit. Hester is to be sentenced Oct. 13.
Marriage licenses issued
- Kirk O. Dyck, 33, Lawrence, and Phonephaka C. Sirimongkahon, 29, Lawrence.
- Erik M. Abrahamson, 25, Lawrence, and Shannon D. Antisdel, 25, Lawrence.
- Thomas L. Hodgson, 40, Lawrence, and Leticia C. Hodgson, 40, Lawrence.
- Orval R. Engling Jr., 43, Lawrence, and Nancy R. Huckeba, 37, Lawrence.
- Muriel D. Stoffer Jr., 40, Eudora, and Lucinda P. Carter, 26, Lawrence.
- Joel C. Hahn, 35, Lawrence, and Pamela K. Anderson, 26, Lawrence.
- Billy A. Erdman, 60, Lawrence, and Carolyn A. Grayum, 48, Lawrence.