Midwestern Brass Chamber Music Workshop concerts begin.
- Brass Showcase Concert. 7:30 p.m. today. Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall. Fee charged. Tickets on sale at door.
- U.S. Air Force Stellar Brass. 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Lied Center.
- St. Louis Brass Quintet. 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Lied Center. Fee charged. Tickets at Murphy Hall box office, 864-3982; Lied Center, 864-ARTS; and SUA office, Kansas Union, 864-3477.
Children's Piano laboratory program. Murphy Hall. Sponsored by School of Fine Arts and Department of Music and Dance. Fee charged. Call Christopher Hepp, 864-3930.
Exhibition. "A Photographic Narrative: The Indians of Kansas." Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. Sponsored by Museum of Anthropology, Haskell Indian Nations University and Lawrence Arts Center. Ends Oct. 31. Produced by Mid-American All-Indian Center with partial funding from Kansas Humanities Council. Associated with Lawrence Indian Arts Show. Call 864-4245.
Retirees' Club. Strength training. 3:30 p.m. 2112 Robinson Center. Fee charged. Ends Dec. 8. Call Ev Swartz, 841-4065.
Colloquium. "Ripples of Curvature: Are We Ready to Observe Them?" B.S. Sathyaprakash, Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune, India. 3:30 p.m. 3005 Malott Hall. Sponsored by Department of Physics and Astronomy. Refreshments afterward in 1089 Malott. Call 864-4626.
Hallmark Symposium. Glynis Sweeny, illustrator, Detroit. 6 p.m. Spencer Museum of Art auditorium. Sponsored by the Department of Design. Funded by Hallmark Cards Inc. Call 864-4401.
Workshop. "Reading for Comprehension and Speed, Part I." Melinda McKnight, graduate assistant. 7 p.m. 4035 Wescoe Hall. Sponsored by Student Assistance Center. Fee charged. Registration required. Call 864-4064.
SUA Movie. "Blue." 8 p.m. Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union. Fee charged. Tickets at SUA office, Kansas Union. Also 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and 10 p.m. Thursday. Call 864-SHOW.
University/SenEx meeting. 3 p.m. Regents Room, Strong Hall.
Social and Economic history seminar. "Fracas at El Carrizal: The Intersection of Race and Nationalism in U.S.-Mexican Relations, 1916." James Leiker, Western civilization. 3:30 p.m. Hall Center conference room. Sponsored by Department of History and Early Modern Seminar. Call 864-4798.
Seminar. "How to Start Your Own Small Business." 6:30 p.m. Small Business Development Center, 734 Vt. Sponsored by Small Business Development Center. Fee charged. Free to students. Registration required. Limited space. Call 843-8844.
Workshop. "Learning a Foreign Language." Rosalea Postma-Carttar, Spanish and Portuguese. 7 p.m. 4035 Wescoe Hall. Sponsored by Student Assistance Center. Fee charged. Registration required. Call 864-4064.
- Visit to the ASTUTE Center, 2001 Dole Center. 8:45 a.m. Space is limited. Call R.J. Smith, 843 9417.
- Mini seminar. Gardening. 9 a.m. Music room, Adams Alumni Center. Call Flora Silini, 842-2449.
- Coffee at 10 a.m. in Adam Lounge.
- Music at 10:45 a.m. in music room.
- Great Books discussion group. "Origin of Government." 2:30 p.m. Adams Center library. Fee charged. Call Dave Hiebert, 842-8706.
University Forum. "Poets, Players and Heroes: The Tough-Yet Gentle Classical Sculpture of James Brothers." James Brothers, Lawrence sculptor. Noon. ECM Center, 1204 Oread Ave. Sponsored by ECM. For luncheon reservations (optional), Call 843-4933 by 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Workshop. "Calculus: Taking Control." Sean Larsen, mathematics graduate assistant. 7 p.m. 120 Snow Hall. Sponsored by Student Assistance Center. Also 7 p.m. Sept. 21. Call 864-4064.
SUA Movie. "Baghdad Cafe." 10 p.m. Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union. Fee charged. Tickets at SUA office, Kansas Union. Also 7:30 p.m. Thursday. Call 864-SHOW.
Retirees' Club. Annual Founders' Day Birthday Party. "What KU Retirees' Club Means To Me." George Forman, Rita Haugh, Bill Kelly and Ev Swartz. 2:30 p.m. Adams Alumni Center.
Lecture. "The Future of Primary Records." G. Thomas Tanselle, Guggenheim Foundation, New York. 4 p.m. Spencer Research Library auditorium. Associated with "Unpainted to the Last: 'Moby-Dick' and American Art, 1930-1990" exhibition. Call 864-4710.
Football. KU-Texas Christian University, Fort Worth. 7 p.m. Memorial Stadium. Fee charged. Call 864-3141.
Last day to change meal package for fall semester.
Last day to elect credit/no credit grade option.
"Moby-Dick" film festival. Sponsored by Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art. Call Lori Eklund 864-4710.
- Early "Moby-Dick" films. 5 p.m. Spencer Museum of Art auditorium. Sponsored by Spencer Museum of Art.
- "Moby-Dick" discussion, short films and cartoons. 2 p.m. Saturday. Spencer Museum of Art auditorium.
- Film series and discussion. John Huston's "Moby-Dick" and KU film faculty panel discussion. 1 p.m. Sunday. Spencer Museum of Art auditorium. Sponsored by Hall Center. Call 864-4798. Reception afterward in Spencer Museum of Art auditorium.
Faculty seminar. "Technologizing the University." Technology, Technical Literacy and Higher Education, Unit I. 3:30 p.m. Jayhawk Room, Kansas Union. Sponsored by Hall Center and the Center for Management of Technology. Call 864-4798.
SUA Movies. Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union. Fee charged. Tickets at SUA office, Kansas Union. Call 864-SHOW.
- "While You Were Sleeping." 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Also 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.
- "Strange Brew." Midnight. Fee charged. Also midnight Saturday.
String master class. Oleh Krysa, violin. 1 p.m. Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall.
Fall Weekend Workshops. Natural History Museum. Fee charged. Call 864-4173. Registration required.
- "Duck Tales and Other Fowl Stories." 1:30 p.m. Ages 4-6.
- "Fishes in Kansas." 1:30 p.m. Also 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Ages 7-12 and adult.
Solo Artists Series concert. Oleh Krysa, violin, with Tatiana Tchekina, piano. 2:30 p.m. Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall. Fee charged. Tickets at Murphy Hall box office, 864-3982; Lied Center, 864-ARTS; and SUA office, Kansas Union, 864-3477.