Law enforcement report
- A 22-year-old man told police that he received several lacerations to his hands about 1:40 a.m. Thursday during an altercation outside Johnny's Tavern, 401 N. Second. The man said several people were involved in the altercation and he could not identify his assailant. He also did not know how he was cut. The police report indicates he was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Leon Randel, 57, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition Thursday at Lawrence Memorial Hospital with facial injuries he suffered about 7:45 p.m. Wednesday in a bicycle accident at 15th Street and Monterey Way.
- Linden W. Keith, 49, Ottawa, remained in critical condition Thursday in the intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. She was injured Aug. 30 in a one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence.
- Robert D. Underwood, 44, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition Thursday at a rehabilitation unit at KUMC with a fractured neck he suffered Aug. 23 in a diving accident at a private swimming pool in Lawrence.
- Warren Oshel, 47, Lawrence, was listed in critical condition Thursday in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Sunday in a motorcycle accident about two miles north of Midland Junction in Jefferson County.
- John Thacker and Donald Anderson, both of Topeka, were transferred shortly before midnight Wednesday from LMH to KUMC for treatment of injuries they received Wednesday when a lightning bolt struck near them as they waited for their trucks to be loaded in a quarry in western Douglas County. A medical center spokesman said Thacker was dismissed from the hospital Thursday. Anderson was listed in good condition.
- Bicycle accident, 7:49 p.m. Wednesday, 15th and Monterey Way.
- Medical emergency, 8:49 p.m. Wednesday, 1400 block of E. 22nd Terrace.
- Medical emergency, 9:14 p.m. Wednesday, 1300 block of Kasold.
- Medical emergency, 9:26 p.m. Wednesday, area of 100 E. 2075 Rd.
- Medical emergency, 3:54 a.m. Thursday, 800 block of Iowa.
Criminal charges filed
- A preliminary hearing is scheduled Sept. 18 for Steven R. Thompson, 24, 1419 Mass., who is charged with possessing cocaine, possessing drug paraphernalia, auto burglary and attempted felony theft on Feb. 13. Court records indicate the charges were filed July 19. Thompson made a court appearance on Tuesday.
Marriage licenses issued
- David E. Greer, 24, Kansas City, Kan., and Shannon R. Poorbear, 20, Lawrence.
- Burke B. Beeler, 31, Lawrence, and Kimberly S. Madsen, 25, Lawrence.
- Kathleen L. Gragg, Lawrence, and James A. Gragg, Lansing.
- Monika Barnett, Omaha, Neb., and Robert Barnett, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Lilanni Connolly, Olathe, and Mark J. Connolly, Lawrence.
- Darleene K. Landon, Lawrence, and Brian L. Landon, Helena, Okla.
- Mark McNemee, Lawrence, and Karen McNemee, Lawrence.
- Julee A. Smith, Lawrence, and Dan M. Smith, Topeka.
- Colleen Zimmerman, Lawrence, and Robert E. Zimmerman Jr., Lawrence.
- Sheila L. Page, Lawrence, and Wayne L. Page, Topeka.
- David R. Collins, Lawrence, and Mary D. Collins, Lawrence.
- Audrey D. Petry, Spring Hill, and Thad S. Petry, Lawrence.
- Patricia D. Norman, Lawrence, and Kenny L. Dodds, Lawrence.
- Sharon Burch, Lawrence, and Norman T. Overholser, Lawrence.
- Xihong Zou, Lawrence, and Teijun Tang, St. Louis.
- Kim R. Hinton, Lawrence, and Mark Hinton, Lyons.
- Genevieve M. Scanlan, Lawrence, and Timothy B. Scanlan, Manhattan.
- Traci L. Bunkers-Branden, Lawrence, and Michael G. Branden, Lawrence.
- Karen L. Bricker, Ottawa, and Gregory A. Bricker, Eudora.
- Brenda Kuhle, Lawrence, and Richard Kuhle, Lawrence.
- Laura L. Freeman, Lawrence, and Richard S. Freeman, Lawrence.
- Alan L. Hendrixson, Lawrence, and Jennifer L. Hendrixson, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Janet Jackson, Lawrence, and Dale Jackson, Lawrence.
- Joanne Lorenz, Lawrence, and Kevin G. Lorenz, Lawrence.
- Gary W. Robertson, Lawrence, and Pamela S. Robertson, Lawrence.
- Kay R. Nellis, Lawrence, and Eddie D. Nellis, Lawrence.
- Jean M. Palmateer, Lawrence, and Robert C. Palmateer, Lawrence.
- Ronald G. Lizar, Topeka, and Kay C. Lizar, Topeka.
- Rhonda J. Meza, Lawrence, and Joaquin Meza, Lawrence.
- Juanita F. Helstrom, Lawrence, and. W. Robert Helstrom, Lawrence.
- Jack R. Porter, Tonganoxie, and Peggy C. Porter, Lawrence.
- Harold E. Starkebaum, Overbrook, and Patricia S. Starkebaum, Overbrook.
- Kenneth P. Moritz, Lawrence, and Victoria J. Moritz, Long Beach, Calif.
- Investigated a false alarm at 3:32 p.m. Thursday in a residence at 3108 Trail.
- Were called to wash blood off a sidewalk at 8:53 p.m. Wednesday in the 3700 block of West 15th Street, where a deer was killed by a vehicle.
- Were called about a house fire at 10:49 p.m. Wednesday at 1656 Ill. Firefighters said that when they arrived there was a light haze of smoke in the air and a search found that an electrical transformer on an old air-conditioning unit had shorted out and burned. Firefighters shut off the power to the unit and told the owner about the problem.
- Were called to put out a couch fire at 3:44 a.m. Thursday in a parking lot at 732 1/2 Conn. Firefighters said the couch had been placed next to a trash bin.
- Were called about a kitchen fire at 6:16 a.m. Thursday at Burger King, 1301 W. 23rd. Firefighters said the fire began in the fryer. An employee used an extinguisher to put out the fire before firefighters arrived.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service made the following responses:
- Three-vehicle accident, 7:59 a.m. Thursday, southbound lane of the Kansas River Bridge.
- Medical emergency, 8:26 a.m. Thursday, 400 block of Whitfield.
- Medical emergency, 8:56 a.m. Thursday, 1500 block of Troon Lane, no transport.
- Two-vehicle accident, 9:24 a.m. Thursday, 100 block of East Seventh, no transport.
- Home accident, 2:40 p.m. Thursday, 300 block of Michigan, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 5:10 p.m. Thursday, 1100 block of Pennsylvania, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 5:56 p.m. Thursday, 1800 block of West 27th.
- Public accident, 7:13 p.m. Thursday, 2600 block of Iowa.