Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- Police are investigating the reported theft of men's and women's jewelry and $195 in cash from a residence in the 100 block of Providence. The property, which was valued on a police report at $5,780, was taken between July 11 and Aug. 10. The police report indicates that no sign of forced entry was found at the residence.
- A 15-year-old Lawrence youth was detained by police early Thursday after he allegedly battered a 42-year-old woman with a BB gun during a disturbance in the 1300 block of Delaware. The woman, a Lawrence residence, told police that the youth threatened her with the gun and struck her several times with it. The police report indicates the incident stemmed from statements the woman allegedly had made about another person. The woman was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by the Douglas County Ambulance Service where she was released after treatment. A juvenile offender complaint alleging one count of aggravated battery was filed Thursday in Douglas County District Court against the 15-year-old suspect. A detention hearing is scheduled for this morning.
- Kodi A. Thomas, 26, 1029 N.Y., was charged Thursday in Douglas County District Court with the attempted burglary of an automobile in the 900 block of Vermont. Thomas is to appear back in court Sept. 5 for a preliminary hearing. Thomas was arrested about 11 p.m. Wednesday by police detectives who were investigating a report of a man who was on the roof of Englewood Florists, 939 Mass. Police reports indicates the detectives also witnessed Thomas attempting to open the door of a BMW that was parked behind the business.
- Two Ottawa residents remained hospitalized Thursday in an intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., with injuries they suffered Wednesday in one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence. John E. Guge, 29, the driver of the vehicle, was listed in fair condition. Linden W. Keith, 49, was listed in critical condition.
- Robert D. Underwood, 44, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition Monday at KUMC with a fractured neck he suffered Aug. 23 in a diving accident at a private swimming pool in Lawrence.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service reported the following responses:
- Medical emergency, 8:54 p.m. Wednesday, 1200 block of Pennsylvania. No patient found.
- Battery, 11:28 p.m. Wednesday, Ninth Street and U.S. Highway 56, Baldwin. One patient was treated and released at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- Battery, 11:29 p.m. Wednesday, 13th and Delaware.
- Medical emergency, 11:52 p.m. Wednesday, 800 block of Madeline Lane.
- Motor vehicle accident, 12:34 a.m. Thursday, 25th and Iowa. No transport.
- Medical emergency, 1:22 a.m. Thursday, 2300 block of Princeton Place.
Marriage licenses issued
- Neil W. Peterson, 27, Lawrence, and Anitha Lakshmanan, 27, Lawrence.
- Investigated a false alarm at 2:03 a.m. Thursday at the Helen Foresman Spencer Museum of Art at Kansas University.
- Investigated a false alarm at 3:54 a.m. Thursday at 4626 Muirfield Dr. A carbon monoxide detector was activated. No detectable levels of the gas could be found.
- Investigated a false alarm at 10:15 a.m. Thursday at the Lawrence Senior Center, 745 Vt.
- Investigated a vehicle fire at 1:52 p.m. Thursday at 955 Iowa. The fire was out when firefighters arrived. Gasoline had ignited in the engine area of a 1981 Oldsmobile 98, causing an estimated $200 in damage.
- Stood by until the electric company arrived to fix an arcing electrical wire at 2:07 p.m. Thursday in a parking area at 935 Iowa.
- Investigated a false alarm at 3:30 p.m. Thursday at Food 4 Less, 2525 Iowa.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service made the following responses:
- Home accident, 10:26 a.m. Thursday, 3000 block of West 31st.
- Transfer, 12:59 p.m. Thursday, from Lawrence Memorial Hospital to St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.
- Two-vehicle accident, 4:26 p.m. Thursday, 15th and Kasold.
- Home accident, 4:49 p.m. Thursday, 1000 block of East 23rd.
- Public accident, 5:53 p.m. Thursday, Haskell Indian Nations University.
- Daniel W. Mowry, 29, Lawrence, and Debra L. Allen, 38, Lawrence.