A total of 20 members of the Youth in Local Government club at Lawrence High School now are serving as members of local boards and commissions.
The students will serve as ex officio members of 18 groups, but they are given an opportunity to speak out and vote on issues.
The students attend meetings of the boards and commissions and report back to their social studies classes on the events and decisions made during those meetings. The Youth in Local Government members also meet once a month to discuss activities of their boards and to discuss issues that concern the community.
These juniors will serve on the following local boards throughout the school year:
- Brian Allen, Lawrence Public Library board.
- Cory Poull, Lawrence Housing Authority board.
- Brenda Trent, Bert Nash Mental Health Center board.
- Laurie Weeks, Human Relations board.
- Heather Sharp, Red Cross board. Sharp is treasurer of Youth in Local Government.
- Elizabeth Schmitz, Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Miguel Larios, Community Arts Council.
- Matt Hochstetler, Douglas County Commission.
- Justin Murray, Lawrence Memorial Hospital board.
- Hannah Crabb, Douglas County AIDS Project. Crabb is vice president of Youth in Local Government.
- Jamie Engnell, Project Phoenix.
- Elisha White, Headquarters.
- Krissy Clark, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
- Charlea Rockhold, Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department board.
- Michael Young and Amanda Rothwell, Lawrence City Commission. Young is secretary of Youth in Local Government.
- Jason Spangler and Mark Maddux, Lawrence school board. Maddux is president of Youth in Local Government.
- Avery Lominska, Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission.
- Mike Turvey, Emergency Preparedness Commission.
LHS teacher Paul Stuewe is sponsor of the group.