Ottawa A teen-ager charged in last month's shooting death of 14-year-old Stephanie Perez waived his right Thursday to have a judge decide if he should remain in detention.
That waiver means Nathan Earwood, 16, will remain in custody pending further court appearances. Earwood is charged as a juvenile with first-degree murder in connection with the Sept. 24 slaying.
Assistant Franklin County Atty. John Wilcox said Earwood would be back in court Nov. 22 for a hearing on the state's request to prosecute him as an adult for Perez's death.
Wilcox said prosecutors are seeking the waiver because of the severity of the crime charged, the fact that there are no facilities in the present juvenile justice system to rehabilitate Earwood before the juvenile court's jurisdiction over him expires and because prosecution as an adult would be in the best interest of the community.
If the judge orders Earwood to stand trial as an adult, the November hearing also would serve as his preliminary hearing, Wilcox said.
Authorities allege that Perez was struck in the chest with a .22-caliber bullet that Earwood fired during a fight between a group of several Ottawa teens and Perez's brothers. Authorities said Earwood and the other teens had gone to the Perez family's apartment because they considered Perez's brothers to be rival gang members.