Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 20-year-old Lawrence woman has told police that at about 1:20 a.m. Monday she discovered a stranger inside her apartment in the 1300 block of Vermont. The woman said that when she went to investigate a noise she found the man picking up change in her living room. She said the man, a 28-year-old man who lived nearby, appeared to be intoxicated. The police report indicates the woman discovered 90 cents missing from her home. Police have contacted the suspect, but no arrests have been made.
- Police are investigating a report that at about 6 a.m. Sunday someone entered an occupied residence in the 800 block of West 21st, took $36 in cash from a woman's purse and left. The report indicates the front door of the residence was unlocked. There are no suspects.
- A computer, stereo system and a leather planner, valued together on a police report at $1,960, were stolen between 10 p.m. Saturday and 2:45 a.m. Sunday from a residence in the 2300 block of Yale, according to a police report. Entry was made through an unlocked door. There are no suspects.
- A 32-year-old Topeka man has told police that he was struck in the head with a bottle or a glass about 1 a.m. Sunday during an altercation at the Granada, 1020 Mass. The victim said several people were involved in the incident, and he did not know who struck him.
- A disgruntled employee has been identified as a suspect in an incident about 4 a.m. Sunday which resulted in about $1,550 damage at the Village Inn, 821 Iowa. The police report indicates that the employee, a 36-year-old Lawrence woman, activated a fire extinguisher system that flooded the restaurant's kitchen with a dry powder that is used to extinguish kitchen fires. The powder destroyed a quantity of fresh food that was in the kitchen. The report indicates that the woman allegedly activated the fire extinguisher because she was upset about how busy the restaurant had been that night.
- Police are investigating a report that both sides of a 1985 Volkswagen were scratched with an unknown object about 5:45 a.m. Saturday while the vehicle was parked in the 1000 block of Kentucky. The damage done to the vehicle was estimated at $1,200. Police have contacted a 34-year-old man who has been identified as a possible suspect, but no arrests have been made.
- A Lawrence woman, Brenda Clark, was listed in fair condition Monday at Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries she received Friday in a one-vehicle accident at 597 N. 1850 Rd.
- Linden W. Keith, 49, Ottawa, was listed in fair condition Monday at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. She was injured Aug. 30 in a one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence.
- Warren Oshel, 47, Lawrence, was listed in serious condition Monday at KUMC with injuries he suffered Sept. 3 in a motorcycle accident about two miles north of Midland Junction in Jefferson County.
- Terry A. Lewis, 46, Ottawa, remained in critical condition Monday in an intensive care unit at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka with injuries he suffered Sept. 25 in an accident on U.S. Highway 59, three-quarters of a mile north of the Douglas-Franklin county line.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service reported the following responses:
- Medical emergency, 8:44 p.m. Sunday, 800 block of Garfield.
Criminal charges filed
- Felony charges were filed Monday in Douglas County District Court against two Oklahoma men who were arrested Sunday morning after a disturbance at a party in the 1300 block of New Jersey. A 22-year-old Lawrence man told police that when he attempted to intercede in a fight between his 22-year-old friend and one of the suspects, the second suspect put a gun to this throat and asked him if he was ready to die. Both victims then left the party. They told police that as they were leaving they heard a shot. No one was reported injured. A police report indicates that officers found what was believed to be cocaine on both men after they were arrested. Tracy A. Hornsby, 30, Oklahoma City, was charged with aggravated assault and possession of cocaine. James E. Horse, 22, Oklahoma City, was charged with possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia. Both are to appear back in court Thursday for preliminary hearings.
Marriage licenses issued
- Jon D. Steffens, 24, Kansas City, Mo., and Heather R. Scoby, 24, Baldwin.
- Sean M. Bryson, 27, Lawrence, and Kathleen A. Cates, 27, Lawrence.
- Wade T. Smyth, 36, Tonganoxie, and Elizabeth S. Dropkin, 31, Tonganoxie.
- Roger M. Silva, 33, Marshalltown, Iowa, and Sheryl A. Winn, 34, Marshalltown, Iowa.