Burglaries and thefts reported
- A Lees Summit, Mo., woman has told police that between 8:30 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 a.m. Sunday someone stole her 1994 Mustang from the 1300 block of West 24th. The car was found about 11:30 a.m. Sunday in a ditch along Kansas Highway 10, near East 1690 Road, east of Lawrence. Evidence at the scene indicated the vehicle had been wrecked at another location and then abandoned along the highway. The total loss, including a golf bag and clubs that were missing from the vehicle when it was found was estimated at $28,950. There are no suspects.
- A Lawrence man has reported that around 4 a.m. Sunday someone stole his 1994 Chevrolet truck from the 3700 block of Overland Drive. The report indicates that the vehicle was locked at the time of the theft. There are no suspects.
- A 47-year-old Lawrence man has reported that between 1 a.m and 7 a.m. Saturday someone stole a car stereo and 50 compact discs from his 1990 Ford Mustang that was parked in the 2100 block of Riviera. The total loss, including damage to a passenger's side window, was estimated at $1,500.
- Police are investigating a report of a disturbance between 9 p.m. Friday and 2:37 a.m. Saturday in the 3300 block of Iowa that resulted in the burglary of a mobile home, the theft of a 1985 Suzuki motorcycle and a small fire inside the home. The 22-year-old occupant of the mobile home told police that during a party at the residence an altercation erupted involving a 20-year-old Lawrence man who allegedly had been tampering with a vehicle parked outside the home. The victim told police that after the party broke up, he left and went to his parents' home. He said when he returned to the residence about 2:37 a.m. he found the door unlocked, a small fire on the stove, his home ransacked and the $1,000 motorcycle missing. Police and investigators from the Lawrence Fire Department are investigating the incident.
- A Manhattan woman has reported that a 30-year-old Lawrence man improperly withdrew $1,000 from an account she established at a Lawrence bank. The woman told police that the man convinced her to open the account and pledged to repay her for the money that she put into the account. The woman said she complied with his request and then returned to Manhattan, leaving him with the financial card from the account. The woman told police that money was withdrawn from the account between June 28 and July 2 and the man has never repaid her.
- A 51-year-old man was arrested Friday on drug charges after police were called to investigate a report that three people were inside a vacant house in the 800 block of Lyon. A police report indicates that when officers arrived they saw people inside the residence processing what appeared to be marijuana. Three men ran from the house after the first officer arrive. The 51-year-old suspect was apprehended a short distance from the home. He was booked into jail in connection with possession of marijuana with intent to sell, violating the Kansas Drug Tax Stamp Act and possession of drug paraphernalia. He is to make his first court appearance Wednesday. During a search of the residence, officers seized 61 pounds of marijuana.
- The Douglas County Sheriff's Department is working with the Lawrence office of Social and Rehabilitation Services to investigate the possible abuse of a 1-year-old girl. The sheriff's report indicates that between Aug. 25 and Sept. 28 the child may have been abused in a foster home northwest of Lawrence. The report indicates the child suffered a broken leg.
- Linden W. Keith, 49, Ottawa, was listed in fair condition Monday at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. She was injured Aug. 30 in a one-vehicle accident at Douglas County roads 550 North and 1100 East, southwest of Lawrence.
- Warren Oshel, 47, Lawrence, was listed in critical condition Monday in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Sept. 3 in a motorcycle accident about two miles north of Midland Junction in Jefferson County.
- Nathan Tresser, 15 months, Leavenworth, was discharged Sunday from Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, Mo., where he had been undergoing treatment for injuries he suffered Sept. 14 in a one-vehicle accident on a county road about six miles north of Tonganoxie.
- Conrad Cole, St. Louis, was listed in fair condition Monday at St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., with injuries he suffered in a tractor accident Sept. 16 at a hot-rod tractor pull in McLouth.
- Terry A. Lewis, 46, Ottawa, remained in critical condition Monday in an intensive care unit at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka with injuries he suffered Sept. 25 in an accident on U.S. Highway 59, three-quarters of a mile north of the Douglas-Franklin county line.
- Medical emergency, 8:36 p.m. Sunday, Collins Sports Center, Baker University, Baldwin. Patient transported to Overland Park Regional Medical Center.
- Medical emergency, 11:58 p.m. Sunday, Oliver Hall, Kansas University.
- Medical emergency, 4:59 a.m. Monday, 700 block of Massachusetts.
Marriage licenses issued
- Robert A. Horner, 39, Lawrence, and Heidi L. Huston, 24, Winchester.
- Sean A. Devlin, 23, Lawrence, and Brenda E. Randolph, 23, Lawrence.
- Michael W. Scales, 26, Lawrence, and Ellen S. Nolte, 21, Lawrence.
- Timothy L. Kremer, 27, Lawrence, and Kendra D. Ogdon, 27, Lawrence.
- Mark E. Petefish, 31, Lawrence, and Robin D. Wilson, 33, Lawrence.