Archive for Tuesday, November 7, 1995


November 7, 1995


A Lawrence man who was convicted earlier this year on charges stemming from a one-night crime spree last May was sentenced Monday to more than 10 years in prison.

Michael E. Vick, 21, was sentenced to a total of 128 months in prison for convictions on charges of attempted second-degree murder, criminal damage to property, criminal discharge of a firearm, conspiracy to commit arson and attempted arson.

District Judge Jack Murphy imposed sentences ranging in length from six months to 78 months in prison on the felony charges and ordered the five sentences to run consecutively.

The judge also ordered Vick to serve a year in the Douglas County Jail for his conviction on a misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed weapon. That sentence is to run concurrently with the others.

Vick can reduce his sentence by up to 19 months with good behavior. He also was given credit for the time he has served in custody.

Upon his release, Vick is to complete three years of post-release supervision.

The charges stemmed from a pair of incidents on July 12. In the first incident, a molotov cocktail was thrown at an unoccupied vehicle that was parked in the 3300 block of Iowa. In the second incident, shots were fired into a 25-year-old Lawrence man's car as he was driving near 25th and Louisiana.

The driver was cut by flying glass, but not struck by any of the bullets. Two bullets were found in the car's headrest, inches from his head.

Witnesses testified Vick was driving the car from which the shots were fired.

A court hearing is expected to be completed today on a motion by prosecutors to certify Vick's co-defendant, Stephen J. Hurst, 16, to stand trial as an adult in the case. Hurst currently is named in a juvenile offender complaint alleging attempted second-degree murder, attempted arson, criminal discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle and conspiracy to commit arson.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.