Archive for Friday, May 12, 1995


May 12, 1995


Lawrence firefighters:

  • Extinguished a vehicle fire at 2 p.m. Thursday at 1345 Tenn. Firefighters said a Jeep caught fire when fuel leaked on the manifold.
  • Responded to a false alarm at 6:21 p.m. Thursday at Central Junior High School, 1400 Mass. Welders working in the school accidentally activated an alarm, firefighters said.
  • Responded to a false alarm caused by dust in a detector at 7:16 p.m. Thursday at the Art and Design building at Kansas University.
  • Were called about a false alarm caused by a system malfunction at 9:03 p.m. Thursday at Ellsworth Hall at Kansas University.
  • Were called at 10:09 p.m. Thursday about a couch on fire outside of McCollum Hall at Kansas University. Firefighters said investigators learned from a witness that someone lit what looked like fireworks, threw them on a couch, then ran away.
  • Were called about 10:18 p.m. Thursday about a smoke scare at an apartment at 1012 Emery. Firefighters said a thermostat on a furnace malfunctioned.
  • Were called at 12:50 a.m. today about a car fire at a mobile home at 3323 Iowa, Lot 434. Firefighters said when they arrived the fire had been extinguished. Firefighters said they were investigating the fire as an arson.
  • Responded to a false alarm at 1:02 a.m. today at Oliver Hall, 1815 Naismith. Firefighters said smoke from fireworks that were set off in the second floor north wing restroom triggered two detectors in the area.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.