Burglaries and thefts reported
- Car stereo equipment, a radar detector and other items valued on a police report at $1,225 were reported stolen between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. Wednesday from a pickup truck parked in a parking lot in the 400 block of Graystone Drive. According to the report, a door lock was removed to gain entry to the 1991 Isuzu.
- Lawrence police have identified a 30-year-old Grantville man as a suspect in connection with the theft in early December of about $1,162 in property from the K-Mart Distribution Center, 2400 Kresge Rd. Police Sgt. Rick Nickell said Lawrence police learned of the suspect after being contacted by a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department investigator. Items taken included stereo and electronics equipment.
- The Douglas County Sheriff's Department is investigating a report that someone stole a radar detector, a portable radio and assorted camping equipment valued at $2,498 from a Lawrence man's car on Feb. 26. The 27-year-old man told deputies he had been involved in an accident near the intersection of Douglas County roads East 1135 and North 1075 and his friends had taken him to the hospital. When he returned to the vehicle, the items were gone. The theft was reported to the sheriff's department on Wednesday.
- David C. Westphal, 50, Overland Park, remained in satisfactory condition this morning at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka. Westphal was injured Feb. 15 in a one-vehicle accident about three miles west of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 40.
- Thomas J. Streit Jr., 20, was upgraded to fair condition this morning by officials at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. A hospital spokeswoman also said Streit had been moved out of the intensive care unit. Streit was injured March 4 in a van-moped accident at Ninth and Ohio.
Criminal charges filed
- A 27-year-old Lawrence man has been charged with the theft of money from a Lawrence man last August. Randy G. Rothwell is charged with one count of felony theft and four counts of misdemeanor theft, according to court documents. All the thefts are alleged to have occurred on Aug. 28 and 29. Rothwell was arrested on the criminal warrant on Thursday. He was released on bond pending his first court appearance March 14.