Archive for Thursday, June 15, 1995


June 15, 1995


When a HUD-subsidized apartment is vacated, is the initial deposit returned with interest?

It depends on whether it is a housing authority-owned unit or owned by a private landlord, said Charlotte Knoche, director of the rental assistance programs at the Lawrence Housing Authority.

On property owned by the housing authority, deposits are returned with interest, Knoche said.

"Otherwise, my understanding is that private landlords are not required to pay interest on held security deposits," she said. "Under the Kansas Landlord Tenant Act, the only landlords required to refund deposits with interest are housing authorities."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.