Eudora — A Eudora tradition that dates to the 1900s will explode in lights and sounds this week.
The CPA Picnic is scheduled to get under way Thursday when carnival rides swing into action. From then through Saturday, the event will offer concerts, athletic competitions, concessions, parades and arts and crafts booths.
The event was organized in 1904 by the Cattlemen's Protection Assn., a group of Eudora men who decided to take a break from chasing down horse and cattle thieves and organize a picnic.
Here is a list of attractions:
- Children's parade, 7 p.m. Friday along Main Street. Youngsters are encouraged to decorate floats or bicycles, as well as themselves. Children's games will follow the parade at the Eudora Fire Station.
- Karaoke concert, 7:30 p.m. Friday at the city park.
- Sand volleyball tournament, 8 p.m. Friday on the court near the city pool. The four-person, open-division tournament will resume at noon Saturday.
- Fun run, 7 a.m. Saturday at the Eudora High School track.
- Fitness walk, 7:30 a.m. Saturday at the high school track.
- Soccer clinic, 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at the ball fields near the Eudora city pool.
- Swim meet, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday at the city pool.
- CPA Golf Tournament, 11 a.m. Saturday at Gardner Municipal Golf Course.
- Children's pool races, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the city pool.
- Free admission to the pool, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- Grand parade, 6:30 p.m. Saturday along Main Street.
- A band will play after the parade until about midnight Saturday at city park.
For more information about athletic events, call the Eudora Recreation Commission at 542-1725.