Archive for Monday, January 30, 1995


January 30, 1995


Is there a minimum or maximum that you can earn in a year and draw unemployment?

"It's a simple question, but there's not always a simple answer," said Marge Baker, district unemployment insurance manager for the Kansas Department of Human Resources.

Unemployment compensation is not determined by how much or how little you make in a year, she said.

Instead, the amount is calculated based on how much money you made in each quarter over a preceding one-year period, Baker said.

"Right now, if someone is filing a claim in January 1995, what determines if they are entitled is where they were in the base period," she said. "The base period is from October to December 1993 and from January to September 1994. They must have had earnings in two of those quarters, and those earnings must equal 30 times their weekly benefit amount. The weekly benefit amount is the highest quarter earnings times 4.25 percent. The maximum weekly benefit is $255."

By that formula, a person who earned $300 a week would multiply their weekly pay by 13, the number of weeks in a quarter of a year, and then multiply the quarterly earnings total of $3,900 by 4.25 percent. The resulting weekly benefit would be $166.

Unemployed people who work part-time while seeking a full-time permanent job may keep up to one-fourth of their weekly benefit and still draw their full weekly entitlement as determined by the preceding formula, Baker said. Any additional earnings will reduce the unemployment benefit on a dollar-for-dollar basis, she said.

But all amounts are reportable when earned, Baker said.

Baker said she is available to answer unemployment compensation questions in the Topeka district office at 913-296-1724.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.