Burglaries and thefts reported
- A surveyor's transit, an air compressor and other items, valued together on a police report at $1,568, were reported stolen between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday from a house under construction in the 1500 block of Brinks Court. According to the police report, the items were taken while workers from Kerich and Cole Construction, 1824 N.H., were on a lunch break.
- Home stereo equipment, valued on a report at $1,090, was reported taken between 11:30 a.m. Saturday and 2:45 a.m. Sunday from a residence in the 400 block of Sierra. The residence was unlocked at the time the property was taken. Police say they have no suspects.
- Police are investigating a report that a 24-year-old Lawrence man was mugged by two men and robbed of $680 about 4 p.m. Friday in the 1900 block of East 19th. Police have a possible identification of one of the suspects but have been unable to find him.
- Police are investigating a report that shortly before 2 a.m. today, an unknown person fired several gunshots near the area of 17th and Tennessee. A 22-year-old Kansas University student told police he heard what he thought were three shots fired in rapid succession, then a car driving off. Police Sgt. Rick Nickell said officers found two empty shell casings in the road in the 1600 block of Tennessee but found no evidence that anything had been struck by the bullets.
- Christine L. Elston, 41, 1900 W. 31st, was listed in fair condition this morning in an intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., with injuries she suffered Dec. 26 in a three-vehicle accident at 33rd and Iowa.
- Glen Sharp, 617 W. 27th Pl., remained in fair condition this morning at KUMC with injuries he suffered Jan. 1 in a sledding accident on Campanile Hill.
- Daniel J. Rutledge, 28, Perry, was listed in serious condition this morning in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Jan. 6 in a two-vehicle accident in southern Leavenworth County.
- Carol Keefer, 41, 1465 E. 732 Road, was listed in fair condition this morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Keefer suffered a broken right leg Sunday when a cow knocked her to the ground and butted her with its head. Keefer was attempting to treat the cow's calf.