- A 30-year-old Lawrence woman was attacked early this morning near 14th and Connecticut streets when she was out for a walk. According to police Sgt. Susan Hadl, the woman was blindsided about 5 a.m. by a man who hit her in the eye. The woman resisted, Hadl said, and the man ran away. The woman could provide no description of her assailant, and Hadl said the motive for the attack was unclear. The woman was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
- A 6-year-old Lawrence girl was treated and later released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital following a two-vehicle accident at 3:09 p.m. Saturday at Ninth and Maine streets. Police reports said a car driven by the girl's aunt, Chin Wen Yu, 27, 1316 Lawrence Ave., ran into the back of a pickup driven by Alfred E. Voegels, 25, Rossville. Both vehicles were eastbound on Ninth Street, and the pickup was stopped at the intersection, waiting for other vehicles in front of it to turn left. The child, Stephanie Kou, 6, 1316 Lawrence Ave., was taken to LMH by Douglas County Ambulance Service. Yu was cited for not having the child restrained in a seat belt, having no proof of insurance and inattentive driving.
- Vernon E. Wilson, 87, 925 W. 18th, remained in good condition this morning in the skilled nursing unit at Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries he suffered Dec. 23 when his car crashed into a barricade at 17th and Alabama.
- Christine L. Elston, 41, 1900 W. 31st, was listed in fair condition this morning in an intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., with injuries she suffered Dec. 26 in a three-vehicle accident at 33rd and Iowa.
- Glen Sharp, 617 W. 27th Pl., remained in fair condition this morning at KUMC with injuries he suffered Jan. 1 in a sledding accident on Campanile Hill.
- Daniel J. Rutledge, 28, Perry, was listed in fair condition this morning in an intensive care unit at KUMC with injuries he suffered Jan. 6 in a two-vehicle accident in southern Leavenworth County.
- Investigated an unintentional false report of a car fire at 9:08 p.m. Saturday at 11th and Massachusetts.
- Responded to a system malfunction at 12:27 a.m. Sunday at Bailey Hall at Kansas University.
- Responded to a grease fire at 1:37 p.m. Sunday in the kitchen at 1515 Craig Court. The fire was out when firefighters arrived. Chris M. Cullison, 14, suffered burns while attempting to extinguish the fire and was treated at the scene by the Douglas County Ambulance Service. Damage was estimated at $120.
- Stood by at 4:50 p.m. Sunday at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 325 Maine, for the landing of a Lifeflight air ambulance.
- Responded to a reported smoke smell at 2:53 a.m. Monday at 1217 R.I.
The Douglas County Ambulance Service reported the following responses:
- Motor vehicle accident, 8:03 a.m. Saturday, intersection of Douglas County roads 1029 and 458, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 12:23 p.m. Saturday, 500 block of Rockledge, patient taken to St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka.
- Medical emergency, 1:49 p.m. Saturday, Ninth and New Hampshire.
- Public accident, 2:10 p.m. Saturday, 111 East 11th, no transport.
- Motor vehicle accident, 3:17 p.m. Saturday, Ninth and Maine.
- Medical emergency, 8:21 p.m. Saturday, 2500 block of Redbud.
- Home accident, 8:45 p.m. Saturday, 300 block of East Seventh in Lecompton.
- Medical emergency, 9:37 p.m. Saturday, 1200 block of New York.
- Medical emergency, 9:54 p.m. Saturday, 900 block of Chalk Hill Court, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 10:29 p.m. Saturday, about a half mile southeast of Vinland on East 1790 Road.
- Assault, 1:06 a.m. Sunday, 1800 block of Massachusetts, no transport.
- Assault, 1:34 a.m. Sunday, Ellsworth Hall, Kansas University, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 2:16 a.m. Sunday, 800 block of Massachusetts.
- Medical emergency, 2:44 a.m. Sunday, 700 block of Rockledge.
- Motor vehicle accident, 9:36 a.m. Sunday, 1 3/4 miles east of Douglas County Road 1029 on township road 500N.
- Medical emergency, 10:55 a.m. Sunday, 2700 block of Ponderosa.
- Medical emergency, 11:38 a.m. Sunday, 3000 block of Lawrence Avenue.
- Medical emergency, 12:39 p.m. Sunday, 111 E. 11th.
- Home accident, 1:42 p.m. Sunday, 1500 block of Craig Court, no transport.
- Medical emergency, 2:56 p.m. Sunday, 1500 block of West 23rd.
- Medical emergency, 3:14 p.m. Sunday, 600 block of High, Baldwin.
- Farming accident, 4:55 p.m. Sunday, about 3 1/2 miles west of Lawrence on East 700 Road.