Burglaries and thefts reported
- Ten windows and an exterior door reportedly were stolen between 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 a.m. Wednesday from two homes that are under construction in the 1600 block of East 24th. The theft was reported by Cimmeron Partners Const., Lawrence. The total loss was listed at $2,020.
- A 36-year-old Lawrence man has reported the theft of a 1991 Chevrolet pickup between 7 p.m. Wednesday and 10 a.m. Thursday from the 1800 block of Illinois. The man told police that he had given the keys to the vehicle to a 36-year-old Lawrence man earlier so that man could use the truck to do some work at a rental property. The victim told police that the suspect returned the truck but not the keys. The victim told police that he later noticed the truck and its contents, valued at $11,400, were gone.
- Two purses and their contents, valued on a police report at $1,437, were reported stolen between 3 and 3:15 a.m. Sunday from a vehicle that was parked in the 1200 block of Ohio. According to the report the vehicle, a Honda Accord, may have been unlocked.
- A 30-year-old Perry man remained in the Douglas County Jail this morning following his arrest Saturday in connection with domestic battery and criminal damage to property. Police said the man was arrested after he allegedly attempted to run down his ex-wife outside her home in the 2200 block of Harper about 1:30 p.m. Saturday and broke the driver's side window on her car. The woman was not injured, according to the report.
- A 35-year-old Lawrence man reported that another man held a knife to his throat during an altercation about 11:30 p.m. Saturday outside a residence in the 1600 block of Haskell Avenue. According to the report, the victim struck the suspect in the head with a piece of lumber after he was threatened with the knife. No arrests have been made in connection with the incident.
- Police are investigating a report that a 4-year-old Lawrence boy was battered and abused Jan. 23 in the 1300 block of East 13th. The suspect is described as a 43-year-old Lawrence woman. A report on the incident, which involved the child being slapped in the face, has been turned over to the district attorney's office for review.
- Police are investigating a reported sexual battery or possible attempted rape that occurred about 12:20 p.m. Friday at Lawrence High School. A 17-year-old Lawrence girl told police that she was walking with a boy she knew near the photography room when he pushed her against the wall and they began kissing. The report indicates the 17-year-old male student then unzipped his pants and lifted her skirt. Police Sgt. Rick Nickell said the report indicates a rape didn't occur. Nickell said the victim reported the incident Friday night and that police have not yet contacted the suspect.
- David C. Westphal, 50, Overland Park, was listed in fair condition this morning at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka. Westphal was injured Feb. 15 in a one-vehicle accident about three miles west of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 40.
- Richard L. Steward Jr., 40, Lawrence, was listed in serious condition this morning in an intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. Steward was injured Tuesday in a two-vehicle accident near 17th and Massachusetts.
- A 22-year-old Kansas University student was listed in fair condition this morning at KUMC with a head injury he suffered Thursday in a bicycle accident. David McChristy, a junior from Pittsburg, was injured when his bicycle crashed into a pole near Anschutz Science Library.
- A 19-year-old Haskell Indian Nations University student who suffered an apparent alcohol overdose early Friday morning was listed in serious condition this morning at KUMC. The woman was found unconscious, sitting in the driver's seat of a small pickup truck on the Haskell campus.