Burglaries and thefts reported
- A shotgun and two revolvers, valued together on a police report at $1,210, reportedly were stolen between 7:30 a.m. and 3:05 p.m. Wednesday from a residence in the 500 block of Park Hill Terrace. Forced entry was made through a rear basement door. Police have no suspects.
- A ski jacket, a hunting knife, 40 compact discs and other items reportedly were stolen between 12:30 a.m. and 8:15 a.m. Wednesday from a 1984 Ford Bronco II that was parked in the 2400 block of West 25th. A police report indicates the front passenger window was broken and that a compact disc player and amplifier in the vehicle were damaged. The total loss was listed at $2,230.
- A Lawrence man has reported a burglary to his residence in the 3300 block of Iowa and the theft of two handguns valued at $1,150. According to the police report, suspects entered the residence between 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Tuesday by kicking open the front door.
- Police are investigating a report that between 5 p.m. Tuesday and 11 a.m. Wednesday, someone threw a rock through a window in the cab of a Case tractor that was parked outside McConnell Machinery Co., 1111 E. 23rd. The window was valued at $500. The incident is the third vandalism reported by the business this week. In earlier reports, company officials reported that someone broke front and side windows on the cab of one combine and a single window on a second combine Monday night or Tuesday morning. The windows were valued at $1,310. Police have questioned three juvenile males in connection with the earlier vandalisms and in connection with breaking three windows with a total value of $150 at Schendel Pest Control, 2416 S. Ponderosa Dr., in recent days.
- Police are investigating a report that a 14-year-old Lawrence girl was fondled by a man who invited her and two of her friends into his home in the 1700 block of Vermont early Sunday morning. Police Sgt. Rick Nickell said the girls had been attending a slumber party in the 1800 block of Vermont Saturday night and had left the residence around 3 a.m. Sunday to walk another girl home. As the three were returning to the party, they were approached by a man who struck up a conversation with them and asked for a cigarette. The man then asked the girls to go into his residence. Nickell said two of the girls had left the residence before the alleged incident involving the 14-year-old girl occurred. After the alleged incident, the girl left the residence and was met by the father of the girl who was having the party, who was out searching for her after hearing of the incident from the other girls. Nickell said police have questioned a 27-year-old man in connection with the incident, and the investigation was continuing.
Criminal charges filed
- Floyd L. White Jr., 50, 804 N. J., was charged Wednesday in Douglas County District Court with one count of aggravated assault. The charge stems from an incident in which White allegedly held a knife to the throat of a female acquaintance during an incident in her home in the 500 block of Maine. White's preliminary hearing is scheduled for next Friday.