Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 22-year-old Lawrence man has reported that between 4 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. Sunday camera equipment, a mountain bike and other property were taken from his apartment in the 1100 block of Tennessee while he was sleeping. The man said he later found all the property, except a camera, a camera lens and $10 cash, outside his apartment. Entry was made through an unlocked door. The total of the value of the property that is still missing was estimated at $165.
- Police are investigating the reported theft of a 1981 Dodge van between 11 p.m. and and 11:30 p.m. Monday from the 900 block of Pennsylvania. The van, which was valued on a report at $2,500, was unlocked and the keys were inside it. There are no suspects.
- A 32-year-old Lawrence man who was arrested early Sunday after a disturbance in the 600 block of Gateway Court has reported to police that someone did an estimated $3,000 damage to the interior and exterior of his 1989 Toyota pickup that was parked outside an apartment building in that area. He told police that he discovered the vandalism after he was released on bond following his arrest. A police report indicates the man went to an apartment in the area and began arguing with people there about his arrest and the damage done to his truck. He then backed into a 1989 Chevrolet pickup as he was leaving the apartment. The man was issued a notice to appear Sept. 13 in Lawrence Municipal Court on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, attempting to flee or elude and not having proof of liability insurance.
Angela D. Gulley, 19, Merriam, was listed in fair condition Tuesday at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., with injuries she suffered Monday in a one-vehicle accident just east of the Douglas-Leavenworth county line on Kansas Highway 32. The Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department reported that Gulley was eastbound on K-32 when she lost control of her vehicle, ran off the road and overturned. She was first taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and then transferred to Kansas City by Life Flight helicopter.
- Robert D. Underwood, 44, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition Monday in an intensive care unit at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., with a fractured neck he suffered Wednesday evening in a diving accident at a private swimming pool in Lawrence.
- Dwight Garnhart, 49, Los Animas, Colo., was treated and released Monday from Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries he suffered when his semi-tractor trailer overturned on the Kansas Turnpike. The accident occurred about a mile west of the West Lawrence interchange.
- Medical emergency, 10:59 p.m. Monday, 1600 block of Haskell.
- Medical emergency, 4:51 a.m. Tuesday, 200 block of Wisconsin.
Criminal case proceedings
- Kelly D. Seals, 25, Lawrence, was sentenced Tuesday to a pair of 46-month prison terms for his conviction on charges of kidnapping and aggravated robbery. The sentences, the minimum allowed under Kansas Sentencing Guidelines on the felony charges, are to be served concurrently. Seals also was ordered to complete 24 months of post-release supervision. Seals was convicted last month on the charges, which stemmed from an April 6 incident during which he forced a 19-year-old female Kansas University student into her car at knifepoint and robbed her of less than $20 in cash.
- A Douglas County jury on Tuesday acquitted a 49-year-old KU graduate student of a charge alleging that he took indecent liberties with a 15-year-old girl he was tutoring in math. The charges were filed last May. Prosecutors presented no evidence during the trial on a sexual battery charge that also had been filed against the man. The victim of that alleged offense is out of the country and could not testify at the trial. That charge will be dismissed.
Marriage licenses issued
- Joseph D. Hutchens, 22, Lawrence, and Mary E. Clark, 24, Lawrence.
- Robert M. Swearengin, 29, Lawrence, and Laura M. Simmons, 27, Lawrence.
- Deon A. Willits, 32, Lawrence, and Jayne C. Carpenter, 30, Lawrence.
- Harold F. Ellsworth, 87, Lawrence, and Mary L. Pietsch, 82, Lawrence.
- Craig A. Glass, 22, Wichita, and Kimberly Rasberry, 22, Wichita.
- Keith A. Ely, 32, Lawrence, and Karen C. Kuhn, 26, Overland Park.
- A local man was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after he reportedly was thrown against a wall in a fight about 5:10 p.m. Tuesday near the downtown McDonald's, 911 Mass. The man was transported to LMH by the Douglas County Ambulance Service. Additional information about the incident was unavailable.