Burglaries and thefts reported
- A Lawrence woman has reported that between 11:30 p.m. Monday and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, someone cut the top on her 1992 Toyota, which was parked in the 3700 block of Clinton Parkway, and stole her purse and other items. The total loss, including damage to the vehicle, was estimated at $2,117. There are no suspects.
- A Lawrence woman who lives in the 1900 block of East 19th has told police that on Aug. 1, she loaned her 1984 Chevrolet Camaro to a 32-year-old male friend who has not returned it. Police have not found the man or the vehicle. The car was valued at $2,000.
- A 35-year-old Baldwin man told police that shortly before 2 p.m. Tuesday, he left his laptop computer on a table at Commerce Bank, 955 Iowa. The man said bank security reviewed security tapes and identified a 23-year-old woman as having picked up the computer. The woman has been contacted and the computer recovered. Reports on the incident are being forwarded to the district attorney's office for review.
- A 75-year-old Lawrence woman has reported that between midnight and 8 a.m. Tuesday, someone entered her unlocked residence in the 600 block of Rhode Island and took her purse from a table in her living room. The woman said she was sleeping on a living room couch. The purse and contents were valued at $96 on a police report. There are no suspects.
- About $1,500 damage was done between 6:30 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Monday to the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, 1111 W. 11th, police said today. The report indicates that carpeting was pulled from the floor in four bedrooms, a wooden door was pulled from the wall and wooden platforms on several beds were broken. The report indicates entry to the building may have been made through a broken window.
- Montie C. McMickell, 37, Baldwin, was listed in critical condition at Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., today with injuries he suffered at about 10:15 a.m. Tuesday in a motorcycle accident on Douglas County Road 1055 about a half-mile south of North 1000 Road. The sheriff's report indicates that McMickell was northbound on the county road when he rounded a curve and collided with the rear of a car that had been unable to pass a Douglas County Public Works tractor that was mowing grass. Neither the driver of the car nor a passenger in the vehicle was injured.
- Timothy L. Bruce, 1312 N 1100 Rd., was listed in fair condition this morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital with injuries he suffered about 8:50 a.m. Tuesday in a one-vehicle accident about two-tenths of a mile north of North 1100 Road on East 1440 Road. The sheriff's report indicates that Bruce was northbound on East 1440 Road when his 1986 GMC pickup drifted off the road, struck the concrete wall on a culvert, ran through a barbed wire fence, rolled onto its side and struck a tree. The report indicates that Bruce crawled out of the wrecked truck and flagged down a passing motorist for help.
- Sam Collins, 31, Baldwin, who was injured July 31 in a boat explosion on Lone Star lake was dismissed Tuesday from KUMC. Matthew Jones, 13, St. Marys, a passenger on the boat, was listed in fair condition in the burn unit at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.
- Tyler Thomsen, 12, rural Perry, was listed in fair condition today at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Topeka with injuries he suffered Thursday in a two-vehicle accident about four miles west of Perry on U.S. Highway 24.
- Stephen Jackson, 46, St. Joseph, Mo., was listed in stable condition today at Heartland East Hospital, St. Joseph, Mo., with injuries he suffered Friday when he fell from a ladder at the construction site of the Dolph Simons Center for Biosciences Research Facility at Kansas University.
- Angela L. Russell, 23, of Blue Springs, Mo., was listed in fair condition today at Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, Mo., with head injuries she suffered Thursday in a one-vehicle accident on the Kansas Turnpike about two miles west of the West Lawrence interchange.