Overland Park The Journal-World won the Kansas Press Assn.'s General Excellence award for the second straight year on Friday night at the KPA's awards banquet.
Judge Jill Denning wrote in her comments that the J-W won for "good color, strong local emphasis, clean look, good overall coverage -- from in-depth stories to sports. Head and shoulders above the rest."
The Salina Journal placed second, and the Kansas City Kansan placed third.
Other Journal-World awards were:
- Gary Bedore, first, sports writing.
- Chuck Woodling, second, sports feature.
- Mike Yoder, second, feature photo.
- Editorial pages, second.
- Tim Carpenter, third, feature story.
- Sports pages, third.
- Andrew Hartsock, third, sports column; honorable mention, sports writing; honorable mention, sports feature.
- "Progress '94," third, special sections.
- Ric Anderson, honorable mention, feature writing.
- Mason King, honorable mention, feature writing.