Burglaries and thefts reported
- Police are investigating a report that a John Deere lawnmower, valued at $1,000, was taken between 4 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday from a garage in the 2500 block of Jasu. There are no suspects.
- Police are investigating a report that about $1,200 worth of gasoline was stolen between March 27 and April 1 from a service station at 2005 W. Ninth. The victim on the police report was listed as the Gill Corp. According to the police report an 18-year-old male employee at the station had been letting friends take gasoline without paying for it.
- A Lawrence man has reported that between April 1 and 6:30 p.m. Saturday someone broke into a soda vending machine in an apartment complex laundry room in the 2500 block of Redbud. According to the report, $500 in coins and 70 cans of soda, valued at $100, were stolen. About $1,000 damage was done to the vending machine.
- Vandals did an estimated $2,500 damage between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. Sunday to three garage doors on a building under construction in the 2100 block of Delaware. A police report indicates the suspects wrote on the doors with a black marking pen.
- A 22-year-old Lawrence woman has reported to police that she lost a diamond tennis bracelet valued at $1,750 between 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Friday. The woman said she lost the bracelet between Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd, and Hastings Books, Music and Video, in Southwest Plaza.
- A 21-year-old Eudora man was treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital after being injured in a fight shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of Massachusetts. A police report indicates that during the fight a 19-year-old Lawrence man pushed the victim's head into the curb and a parked car, then kicked him twice in the head. The victim's cousin, a 21-year-old Lawrence man, also reported he was battered in the altercation, but he did not require hospital treatment. The 19-year-old suspect was booked into Douglas County Jail in connection with aggravated battery and then released on a $1,500 bond. He is to make his first court appearance Thursday. A 15-year-old boy also was detained in connection with the incident.
- Douglas County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a report that a 1972 Jeep, valued at $5,000, was stolen between Wednesday and Saturday from a storage building in the area of 1000 East 2200 Road. The report indicates that the unknown suspects broke into the building by breaking a window and then stole the vehicle.
- Sylvia Kallsen, 50, Lawrence, was listed in good condition this morning at the Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., where she is being treated for injuries she suffered in a traffic accident March 23 two miles northwest of Lawrence at Douglas County roads 438 and 7.
- Robert G. Cernech, 38, Kansas City, Kan., remained in critical condition this morning at KUMC where he was taken after a two-vehicle accident March 29 on U.S. Highway 24, about 1 1/2 miles west of the Douglas-Jefferson county line.
- Vivian G. Clough, 73, 1191 East 596 Rd., was listed in fair condition this morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital where she was being treated for injuries she received Thursday in a one-vehicle accident on North 1190 Road, just west of East 596 Road.
Criminal charges filed
- A 39-year-old Topeka man remained in the Douglas County Jail this morning following his arrest on a charge of aggravated robbery. Jail records indicate Rozelle A. Harris was booked into jail at 12:57 a.m. today on the felony warrant. He is expected to make his first court appearance this afternoon. Court records indicate the charge was filed March 27 and stemmed from the Jan. 21 armed robbery of a man at Riverfront Park. The complaint indicates that the victim's wallet, checkbook and cash were taken at gunpoint.
Marriage licenses issued
- Quintin L. Shields, 28, Lawrence, and Lisa J. Taylor, 24, Olathe.
- Clayton D. Merritt, 69, Topeka, and Ollie L. Carroll, 75, Carbondale.