Criminal charges filed
- A charge of aggravated assault was filed Thursday in Douglas County District Court against a Baldwin man who allegedly threatened his wife with a shotgun early Thursday morning during a domestic dispute. The incident occurred outside the woman's home in the 1900 block of West 31st. The man made his first court appearance on the felony charge Thursday afternoon. A preliminary hearing is set for Tuesday.
Criminal case proceedings
- A Jan. 9 trial date is set for Lawrence woman who is charged with damaging an automobile and battering a Lawrence man during a domestic dispute in early October. During her arraignment, Tammy L. Longfellow, 28, 110 Mich., pleaded no contest to an amended complaint charging misdemeanor criminal damage to property and battery. The amended complaint was filed after a felony charge of criminal damage to property was dismissed during her preliminary hearing. That charge was dismissed because prosecutors were unable to show during the hearing that more than $500 damage was done to the victim's car.
- A Lawrence woman has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated battery and misdemeanor criminal damage to property that were filed against her in connection with a domestic dispute in early October. Rebecca S. Jones, 30, 110 Mich., entered the pleas during an arraignment hearing last week. She originally had been charged with felony criminal damage to property. Prosecutors filed an amended complaint alleging misdemeanor criminal damage to property after they were unable to show at her preliminary hearing that more than $500 damage was done to the victim's car. Jones' trial is scheduled for Jan. 30.
- A Kansas City, Kan., man will have a trial in the juvenile division of district court Dec. 13 on juvenile charges of possession with intent to sell cocaine within 1,000 feet of a school and violation of the Kansas Drug Tax Stamp Act. Adrian Caldwell, 18, was detained by police Oct. 12 while they were executing a search warrant at a residence in the 1000 block of New Jersey.
- Darren D. Green, 32, 2807 Ousdahl, has pleaded not guilty to an aggravated battery charge stemming from the alleged battery of a Lawrence man Aug. 24. The charge alleges Green struck the victim with a bat. Green's jury trial has been scheduled for Dec. 12.
- A Kansas City, Kan., man has been bound over for trial on several charges stemming from incidents that reportedly occurred Sept. 27. During his arraignment earlier this week Raynard Walton, 28, pleaded not guilty to two theft charges and single charges of battery on a law enforcement officer, obstruction of the legal process, auto burglary and attempted burglary. His jury trial is scheduled for Jan. 4.
- A preliminary hearing is scheduled Nov. 30 for a Lawrence man who is charged with forging checks totaling $300 on Sept. 13. Stanley R. Harris, 36, 1600 Haskell, is charged with two counts of forgery.
- A Topeka man man is to appear in court Nov. 30 for a preliminary hearing on a charge alleging he stole a 1986 Toyota on Oct. 31 or Nov. 1. Edward L. Carper, 37, also is charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and two counts of misdemeanor criminal damage to property.
- A preliminary hearing is scheduled Nov. 17 for a 17-year-old Lawrence youth charged with burglarizing two cars and taking property from them Sept. 27.
Marriage licenses issued
- Steven R. Ingle, 31, Baldwin, and Alyson J. Croston, 30, Lancashire, Great Britain.