Advertisement

Archive for Friday, June 10, 1994

DAMAGE EXTENSIVE IN HOUSE FIRE

June 10, 1994

Advertisement

An attic fire Thursday afternoon at a Massachusetts Street home caused extensive damage and sent a firefighter to the hospital.

Lawrence firefighters were called at 1:29 p.m. Thursday to the residence, at 2142 Mass., where they found smoke pouring from the attic. Minutes after the first crews arrived, a second alarm was called out.

Fire Chief Jim McSwain said the fire was sparked by an electrical short in wiring for bathroom lights and an exhaust fan. A woman and two children were in the house when the fire broke out but escaped unharmed, McSwain said.

Damage to the one-story rental house was listed at $35,000 on a fire department report. McSwain said fire damage was contained to the attic, but smoke and water damage was reported throughout the house.

The report said two firefighters were injured. Firefighter James Ens was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for minor heat prostration.

Another firefighter was treated by ambulance crews at the scene for a cut finger, McSwain said.

The fire brought out a host of emergency vehicles, including four fire engines, a ladder truck, two other fire department vehicles and two ambulances.

Lawrence police Sgt. Rick Nickell said officers blocked traffic on Massachusetts between 21st and 22nd streets for more than two hours while firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.