Burglaries and thefts reported
- Clothing, compact discs, cassette tapes, stereo equipment and several other items were taken between 10:30 p.m. Wednesday and 9:40 a.m. Thursday from a car parked in the 800 block of Michigan, Lawrence police reported today. The items were valued together on a police report at $3,287.
- Timothy Patterson, 7, 1108 W. 22nd, was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later released after he fell out of a pickup truck at 9:48 a.m. Thursday at Clinton Parkway and Kasold Drive. Lawrence police reported that Timothy was riding in a pickup driven north on Kasold by Robert A. Wesley, 46, when the accident occurred. A police report said Wesley was making a left turn onto Clinton Parkway when the passenger door came open and Timothy fell out. Timothy suffered scrapes and a bruise on the forehead, the police report said. No citations were issued at the scene.
Criminal charges filed
- Leeford R. Edwards, 24, Pomona, has been charged with four counts of auto burglary and two counts of theft, all felonies. At a first appearance this week, a preliminary hearing was scheduled for July 11. Prosecutors allege that from July through September 1992, Edwards entered four vehicles, including two that belonged to Kansas Public Service. In addition, prosecutors claim Edwards took wheels and tires off a vehicle and took a boat trailer, a boat and an outboard motor belonging to a local man.
- Ronald D. Chambers, 46, Pomona, has been charged with a third offense of drunken driving, a felony, along with speeding, driving with a suspended license and carrying an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. The charges stem from a Feb. 18 car stop by a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper. Chambers has been ordered to appear July 22 in Douglas County District Court.
- A 22-year-old Tonganoxie man has been charged with a count of taking indecent liberties with a child. The man has been ordered to appear July 22 in district court. Prosecutors allege that the man molested a 15-year-old girl on May 16.
- A felony count of theft has been filed against Marsha A. Coles, 27, 1005 Del., alleging that she unlawfully obtained $4,504 in welfare benefits between July 1, 1992, and Aug. 31, 1993. Coles has been ordered to appear July 22 in district court.
Criminal case proceedings
- A jury trial has been set for Aug. 1 for Chad Cline, 19, 1900 W. 31st, who was charged April 1 with a count of burglary, a felony. Cline allegedly entered a residence in the 900 block of Indiana between June 13 and June 16, 1993.
- A diversion agreement has been filed in the case of Jose B. Williams, 24, 1600 Haskell. Williams was charged March 15 with seven counts of forgery alleging he forged checks totaling $204 from Dec. 28 to Dec. 31, 1993. Terms of the agreement were unavailable.
- Prosecutors presented evidence this week during a preliminary hearing for James E. Nagy Jr., 44, rural Perry, who was charged June 17 with a count of aggravated robbery, a felony. After the prosecution completed its evidence, the defense asked for a continuance, and the remainder of the hearing was reset for 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Nagy allegedly approached a cashier on June 16 at Checkers Foods, 23rd and Louisiana, and demanded cash.
- Calvin Barber, 17, 2527 Morningside Dr., and James C. Robinson, 19, 928 Conn., have been ordered to stand trial on charges stemming from two recent robberies. During a preliminary hearing this week, Robinson was bound over for trial on a count of aggravated robbery, a felony, alleging he robbed a Domino's Pizza delivery man of cash and a pizza on June 8. In Barber's case, a judge threw out a count of aiding and abetting aggravated robbery alleging Barber took part in the June 8 robbery. Barber was bound over on a count of robbery, a felony, alleging he robbed a Pizza Shuttle delivery driver of cash on May 30. Trial for both defendants has been set for Sept. 26.