Archive for Friday, October 29, 1993


October 29, 1993


Q: Last month I had a new water heater installed in my house. At the bottom of the bill from my plumber was a $10 charge for a city license. I just wanted to know: What city license is required when a water heater is installed, and what is the money used for?

A: Gene Shaughnessy, the city's chief building inspector, said the $10 charge is for a permit that helps pay for city inspection of water heater installations. If a home owner is charged the fee and has not had a city inspector examine the work, he or she should call the inspector's office at 832-3100. Inspectors look at the gas lines, the pressure relief valve and the flu. The flu prevents potentially fatal carbon monoxide from accumulating in the household, he said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.