Archive for Sunday, May 30, 1993


May 30, 1993


A former Kansas University basketball player who reportedly was involved in a drug deal that led to a fatal shooting last summer was arrested Friday on drug-related charges from a recent investigation.

Keith O. Harris, 24, Kansas City, Mo., was booked into the Douglas County Jail at 5:30 p.m. Friday on a warrant containing felony counts of selling marijuana, selling cocaine and not affixing a Kansas drug-tax stamp to illegal narcotics.

Harris, a reserve on the 1988 KU NCAA championship team, was released at 10:30 p.m. Friday on a $5,000 bond and was ordered to make a first appearance in Douglas County District Court at 4 p.m. June 9.

Douglas County Assistant Dist. Atty. Rick Trapp said late Saturday that Harris allegedly sold a small amount of marijuana and cocaine to an undercover informant working for local drug enforcement officers. Trapp said the investigation that led to the warrant began early this year or in late 1992.

Trapp said he believed Harris was living in Lawrence during the investigation. Trapp did not know details about Harris' arrest.

Harris also was part of an investigation into the shooting death of Jeffrey Len Holly, 24, who was killed shortly after Holly and two other men left Harris' home on July 29, 1992.

Two former KU football players, Ronnie Alane Caldwell and Rodney W. Harris, were arrested and charged with first-degree murder in Holly's slaying.

During court proceedings, witnesses testified that Caldwell and Rodney Harris picked up Holly shortly before the shooting at Keith Harris' home, where they had gone to buy a rock of crack cocaine from Keith Harris. Keith Harris, who is not related to Rodney Harris, was living in the 1500 block of Harper at the time.

After leaving Keith Harris' home, witnesses testified, Caldwell drove nine blocks south, stopped his car in the 2400 block of Harper and shot Holly to death with a .357 Magnum revolver.

Caldwell pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and is serving a life imprisonment term. Rodney Harris pleaded guilty to a felony count of aiding a felon. He was assigned to a five-year intensive supervised probation term.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.